Showcase Sony A7II + C/Y Zeiss Distagon 35mm f1.4 + Chevrolet

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by asterinex, Sep 25, 2016.

1. asterinex

asterinex TalkEmount Regular

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    • Like Like x 8
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Surely you cannot call a classic Corvette an "old Chevy", can you? :eek: :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    ^^^Bob, I think it entirely depends on how far either direction chronologically you're viewing the car's birth date from.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That Corvette is about my age. So yeah. It's old. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I am not exactly young either, close to the car's age I think.

I just never think of a Vette as a Chevy, even though I know it is of course.
    I am not really a car guy just an admirer, so don't know all that much especially about older classics, but I would love to have one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    I don't know anything about cars. I thought Chevy is the short word for Chevrolet :) Sounds a bit like shabby, which does not apply to this corvette

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Neither do I, ask my ex-wrecks but I always enjoyed piloting our companies 600SEL at 260km/h (~160mph) down the A5 :biggrin:.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I consider myself a car guy who happens to enjoy photography vs a photographer who knows about cars.
    I'm older than the Corvette pictured, I can say that much about it, and that it isn't a '58 model since there's no wash board on the hood.
    Had a math prof that had one a few years newer than this one and he used to call it his 'plastic truck'.
    I've driven one close in age to this one, albeit a long time ago, it drove like an old car as there is nothing special about their suspension relative to most cars of the era.
    They do have more get up and go since they are quite a bit lighter than your normal Chevy sedan.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    lol:)

10. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Wanna ask... did you pick up the CY mount 35mm F/1.4 after thinking about the Zeiss Loxia? Seem to run about the same price. Just curious... as I have a 35mm/F2.8 CY mount and wonder about the Loxia's integration as a native mount... whether it's worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    BTW, #2 is my fave. :thumbup:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    there are 3 reasons why I choose for C/Y glass
    1) it is a legendary legacy lens which will increase in value over time
    2) I have other C/Y glass and it is more system independent. If Olympus makes a FF tommorow I can switch easily.
    Or I can use it on my Fuji -X as a 50mm :)
    3) I was lucky. I bought this one in Mint condition for only 550 euros.

I cannot say anything about IQ differences. I don't know anything about the Loxia.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Great price you found there! Here in the US, the CY 21mm runs $1,500 plus; the 35mm 1.4, about $1,200; the 100mm F2 about $1,200; and that tends to force choices. I've gone 100% with CY glass for the same #2 you list, but I did pick up a Zeiss Loxia 21mm and it is a fine lens with some nice to have integration with the Sony, and less expensive. While I support your # 2 100%.... and system indepenence was a big part of converting to Zeiss glass for me, there's also some sense in teaming with Zeiss's partners Sony and Phase One (I use Capture One in post). I'm in the process of having a tech clean and repair the CY lenses with a Zeiss recommended source to put them at their best... so that as we compare - as inevitably we will, it will be like-to-like rather than new lens to a legacy lens needing service. Will let you know how that works. Running the Zeiss lenses pushed me from Fuji into Sony, and so far... in terms of running legacy glass, this seems to be a step forward with IBIS... reluctant as I am to admit it, and Sony at least as good as Fuji and in some ways, it's customization - different, but working well, and particularly suited to the job... though I'm five days into it and still working on "set up".

14. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    I think the price plays a big role. At 1.200 dollars the choice for the C/Y becomes difficult. It is an older lens after all and no warranty or what so ever. But at 550 dollars it becomes attractive again.
    I'm always patient and try to find a bargain. Legacy glass is fine and lovely but only for a reasonable price.
    I only buy one if I know the I can sell it for at least the same price.
    I also switched from fuji to the Sony A7II because my C/Y glass. A full frame has no crop factor. The 35mm is a 35mm !
    On the other hand I liked the output of the Fuji X better, especially the jpgs.
    If Fuji or Olympus would make a FF, I would switch immediatly, that being said, the Sony A7II is one of the best mirrorless camera's on the market, and the best for legacy glass !

15. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Singing from my playbook!!! Yeah... I loved Fuji. But I was using Metabones Speedboosters in-between the lens and the sensor... and soon enough you start thinking it'd be better to cut this out. So I did. IBIS helps, too. Body wiggle can wreak a shot that otherwise is in focus when you have to handhold.... and I do. Truth is that as a dude using Capture One for post, I have to wonder why I didn't do it earlier. Would have saved a bundle!!! The Fuji cameras seem to have more jpeg choices and simulation choices than I've found in the A7II, but I think I'm beginning to find my way through the menus to the point where my set-up will work. And yeah... I had some really, really nice Acros jpegs out of the Fujis! and better choices in the plain Monochrome jpegs, too.

16. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

They sure have more options for the jpg settings and some nice B&W simulations but when it comes to color and tonalities you'd be still stuck with their sometimes strange ideas, even if you shoot RAW. It all boils down to personal preferences but I've done a good number of comparative shootouts and for everything else than caucasian skin I personally prefer Sony's colors, tones and local contrast out of the box over what that X-Trans sensor delivers, despite the great, fast glass. I'll keep my Fujis for some B&W stuff and people shots but my next serious camera money goes elsewhere.

17. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    FWIW, I've sold off all my Fuji glass. "Nice enough... but..." and the Zeiss just fits the way I work better. Without Fuji, I wouldn't have come to care. But there you are, huh?
    I will trade out all but one Fuji body 'cause I need a backup for the Sony. The X-T10 has the right size and is "good enough". But I think like you, I've found Sony far more capable then many (especially in the Fuji fanbase) would have you believe.
    BUT... with Sony I'm doing what I never did (or felt compelled to) with the Fuji... and that's customizing the buttons and function menus for using Manual Focus glass. This seems to be working and working faster, and I'm able to use the camera meter better and more easily. So yeah... though I'll miss some of Fuji's best, it won't be grieving. Sony doesn't have much in long glass yet... but I'd bet that get's cured in fairly short order.

18. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Does my edit help any?

19. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    Yes very much! I didn,t laugh because you like cars. That I really can understand. I just found the expression 'car guy' funny.thx for the info!