• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony A7ii and primes kit

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I'm trying to build a decent set of primes for my A7ii. I will mainly shoot primes, I have the kit 28-70 but forget it for a moment, it will probably end resold somewhere down the line, or just stay as a cheap and light backup option.

I'm thinking about Samyang 35 f2.8 and zeiss 55mm f1.8.

My budget could also accommodate sony 28mm f2, sony 50mm f1.8 and sony 85f1.8.

which one would you go for, and why?

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Hi, for my taste, I’ll buy samyang 18 f2.8 as super wide, 28 f2 as wide-angle, 85 1.8 and 55 1.8 if you can afford it. also the 50 1.8 is a good lens, but AF is slow, very slow.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Don't discount that 28-70 lens as when it's used correctly it is a fairly decent lens. I can vouch for the sharpness of the 28 f2 Sony lens. It's as sharp as a tack. In fact, mine is sitting on my A7ii right now.

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My budget does not allow both the expensive lenses at the moment. It will be either the 85mm or the 55mm for the moment, the other one will be a very strong candidate for my next purchase I guess.

I had the 50mm f1.8 in the past, I was happy with it optically, but wasn't happy with AF speed at all so I think I will deprioritize that. I also had the Samyang in the past, and was very happy with it especially given the size but I believe I want the extra aperture stop.

Everyone seems to agree that the 55mm is a stellar lens, and a "must have" one for the system, hence at the moment I'd be oriented to pick the 55 and pair it with the 28 as my initial primes kit.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Or you can get 85mm 1.8 and samyang 45 1.8 instead of 50/55

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I'll go read some reviews on that lens, my only problem with that one is the odd focal lenght: if I add a proper 35 in the future, the two FLs will overlap a bit too much. But thats probably overplanning.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I know you said you like to use primes, so do I.
I would highly recommend you look at a 24-105 lens. It is really good at all focal lengths. It has quieted my desires for primes until my budget is more in tune to their costs.

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I love that lens, I had it but sold it in the past. Will focus on small primes for the moment, f1.8 is kinda my sweet spot now.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Sony G 20mm f/1.8
Sony 35mm f/1.8
Samyang 45mm f/1.8
Sony 85mm f/1.8
If you can afford, Sony GM 24mm f/1.4. (Can sub for the 20mm f/1.8).

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I do a bit of everything: when traveling was possible lots of cityscapes and architecture, I love shooting street and some (strictly family) portraits. If you click the Instagram link in my sig, that will give you an idea of what I like shooting, except the family part which I keep private.

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
Sony G 20mm f/1.8
Sony 35mm f/1.8
Samyang 45mm f/1.8
Sony 85mm f/1.8
If you can afford, Sony GM 24mm f/1.4. (Can sub for the 20mm f/1.8).
interesting to see someone else suggesting the samyang 45. Would you prefer that one over the 55mm?

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
I do a bit of everything: when traveling was possible lots of cityscapes and architecture, I love shooting street and some (strictly family) portraits. If you click the Instagram link in my sig, that will give you an idea of what I like shooting, except the family part which I keep private.
Checked your Instagram, you have nice collections there. I like your shooting style! You should get the Samyang 35 or Zeiss 35, it's small, fast and lightweight. I don't recommend 28 and/or 45 if you have 35 (as WNG already listed those recommended lenses, instead of 45 get the 55). I had 28 for a while, its a great lens, very sharp but it's not wide enough nor tight enough for my mixed style. I got rid of it.

Last edited:

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks Edwin! Whatever I choose to do now, at some point I will need a 35mm as well ..... it's a FL I use a lot, actually plenty of shots in my Instagram are taken with a 35mm equivalent lens....

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
interesting to see someone else suggesting the samyang 45. Would you prefer that one over the 55mm?
The 55 f/1.8 is a brilliant lens, but it's pricey and tighter than I personally prefer. Unless you shoot portraits a lot, of course. I prefer a ~40mm prime as a standard. The Samyang's rendering is superb for its price.
I shoot mostly landscapes, and some macro. So I prefer wider focal lengths. They are also more useful indoors. Most modern primes can close focus well.

I second the opinion that the 28mm f/2 is not a candidate for the same reason. I found 28mm not wide enough. And 35mm is tighter and less distorted if shooting people.

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I decided that the Zeiss 55mm was eating too much of my budget, and I was either going to settle with something slightly shorter than I like or with something slightly slower to accomodate that "dream" lens. I'm buying primes first of all for low light shooting, so compromising on aperture wasn't an option.

When out shooting primes 35+85 has been my weapon of choice for long time (Olympus 17mm + Olympus 45mm), it was very useful to just go back to my Instagram and review what I really like doing.

I picked the Sony 85mm f1.8 and the Sony 35mm f1.8. The first one was a bit cheaper than the Zeiss, the second one more expensive than both the Samyang 35 and the 28 f2, I had to stretch the budget a bit but I have been more unreasonable than that when talking about photo stuff.....

The zeiss 55mm remains high in the todo list, I think it will very likely be my next purchase..... Look forward to posting something in the showcase threads.....

Svein Wilhelm

New to TalkEmount
What about the Samyang 75 (1,8) vs the Sony 85 (1,8) ? Just bought myself a Sony A7Rll and the Tamron 28-200, which is a great surprice due to versatiliy and even sharpness. But I want a fast portrait lens. I also have the Samyang 45 (1,8), and the small ones; the 24 and 35 (Samyang’s).

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
being in your position I would be tempted to complete the all Samyang lineup:)

Svein Wilhelm

New to TalkEmount
The little wider angle of view of the Samyang might be tempting. Does anyone here have it and use it?

Top Bottom