1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony A7 vs Olympus EM1, Wedding Photos, a personal test - Photo Heavy

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by DigitalD, Dec 15, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Some older friends of my wife and I asked for our help in designing and photographing their wedding. For each of them it was their second wedding and were not interested in spending thousand of dollars on planners and photographers, so they asked us for help. My wife has been working on breaking into party planning and I have shot a few weddings in the past and told them I would go ahead and do it for them as my wedding present.

I have never shot a wedding with 2 totally different cameras before. In the past I would just rent a second duplicate camera for the sole reason of being able to have more then one lens choice mounted at one time. However this time I decided to try something different and have one camera as my main camera and the other as an test to try my hand at shooting an important event with Manual Focus legacy and maybe getting some unique shots with a somewhat different vibe. Enter the Olympus OMD EM-1 and the Sony A7. I gave up shooting professionally some time ago so my equipment is sparse comparatively. All the Auto Focus lenses I own are entirely M43 glass and I only own Canon and Minolta legacy lenses that I adapt on the A7. However for me, shooting events just calls for AF because, well, that's what I am used to so the EM1 was my primary and the A7 was my 'secondary' camera, because though I love shooting manual focus, the times I use it is usually when I am just shooting for myself and not in charge of getting the critical moments of an important event, like a wedding.

So aside from the traditional photos usually sought after by newlyweds I am posting a handful of my favorites. I was very shy at using the Sony A7 at first but after picking my personal favorites from the shoot I realized I was split 10/6 EM1/A7. I bet if I was more confident to shoot MF for more of the shots it probably would have been the other way around because not only did I really enjoy shooting with MF, I really liked having an excuse to 'look' at the scene differently, even if some of them were soft :rolleyes:

Anyway, let me know what you all think. Comments/critiques are welcome. I feel I am always learning, and crafting and love input from other photogs.

These are a mix of EM1 and A7 shots. I think they all work together nicely. (Hope its not against the forum rules) These are downsized to 900px for the post so it may be hard to tell which is which, but, I guess I like it that way :eek:

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00056.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-03020.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-03024.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00078.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00075.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-03047.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00316.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00335.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-03085.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00407.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-03110.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-03125.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00664.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00548.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-00960.

fonsecafoto-MJWedding-900px-01116.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow, great work. I'm very impressed. I hope the bride and groom appreciate your gift.

3. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thank you so very much! Yes they were pretty excited about them :) But the stress of shooting a wedding is too great for me, so not something I like to do often :eek:

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow David, these are excellent! You captured some great moments that I'm sure your friends will love them. I like a lot of them so much that I can't really pick a favourite :) again, great work :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks Nick!! I was actually afraid to look at the proofs for almost two weeks. The stress, ugh. I'd rather be a second shooter that's not responsible for anything critical haha!

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Very nice work David. I agree with Nick. You captured real emotion in many shots. They will spark memories for years to come.

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Nice work! glad you had fun using your a7 :)

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Very nice stuff. I wouldn't have the guts to shoot a wedding yet, even as a favor to a friend who is adamant they don't have any expectations. Only thing I would say, in the first few portraits the WB seems a little peachy / yellow. I don't know if it's intentional or not, I would have preferred a cooler WB.

9. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    You really captured some heartfelt moments and for me, that's what it's all about. Well done :)

10. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Beautiful work David! Can you give us a hint as to the lens you used for the Vows? I do so love the shallow DOF in your photos David.

Ive been thrust into a wedding shoot that im not looking forward to. I've did weddings before, way back in the film days, but i don't like the stress involved with them. However my Niece and her groom are struggling financially and asked me to do the pictures. .
    the wedding im doing will be in January and inside a well lit modern plain decor building (something akin to a class room or lecture hall) and the reception is in a dark, modern, high ceiling, community center, so atmosphere will be nonexistent. Going to be an irritating wedding to photograph.:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Great job! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Yep good point. I was giving it a little warm push because their theme was autumn and we used a lot of burlap and earth tones so I thought it matched the mood more. But you may be right that they need to be pulled back a little and cool them down a bit.

13. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Yikes. The very reason doing weddings professionally scares me. Sounds like tight shots will be the key.

For the vows I had the Oly 40-150mm 3.5-5.6 II on the EM1 and on the A7 I had my Canon 50mm f 1.2 FD L. I was standing about 10-15 feet back. The 40-150mm (a great lens imo) was always set to the widest f stop and the 50 was probably f 2 or 2.8. I probably could have gotten away with 3.5 and got those shots a tad sharper.

Good luck my friend!

14. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I have not shot with the 50mm but I've shot with the 55FD 1.2L on an older film camera and tried an adapted one on the EM1 - beautiful lens, softer relative to modern Sony zeiss, Canon L or Nikon G lenses that are optimised for modern digital sensors.
    There is something very soft and classic to the look of the FD50 1.2 that you are using, I'd love to get my hands on one. It's gorgeous and dreamy. I would imagine that it takes fantastic black and whites....

15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Looks like you did well.

I'll be in essentially the same situation as you in June, shooting my sister-in-law's wedding. Except with an E-M5 rather than an E-M1. But other than that the same: all MF with the A7 and AF with the E-M5. I think my confidence with MF is sufficient that I'll be able to get the shots I want--though I wouldn't mind having the 55mm f/1.8 by June.

Right now I'm thinking:

Sony:
    CV35mm f/1.2 & FD85mm f/1.2L.

Olympus:
    25mm f/1.4 & 75mm f/1.8

16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Such a responsibility, (exactly why I never what to try and be a proffesional photographer).

Some lovely shots they should be proud of:)

• Like Like x 1
  17. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    That set up is pretty perfect IMO. I have been lusting for the CV35. Need to move some inventory first tho ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    The 55 has haunted me ever since I purchased the 50. The 2 render very similarly. Tho the 50 is a tad sharper wide open and slightly smoother bokeh. The 55 asph is a great lens and value however and plenty of people use and love it on modern day sensors. Can't go wrong with it. The main reason I got the 50 L was I found a great deal on eBay after haggling a bit with a few best offers AND I had been through about 3 or 4 other legacy 50s that all gave me bloom effects wide open.

The one other 50 that has caught my attention is the loxia 50/2. Have you seen the renders on that lens? Just wow. Biting sharp, smooth bokeh and it's very compact and lightweight manual focus lens. Very interesting.

19. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've wanted a copy of the 50mm L for some time now. But at current prices, I can't justify it. Eventually.

For now, the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 is just about the perfect value.. It's sharper than any of the traditional AF 50mm f/1.4's from Nikon & Canon, sitting between the likes of the FE 55mm, new Sigma 50mm, and the Zeiss Otus 55mm and the standard 50mm's.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trent09

Trent09 New to TalkEmount

Sep 13, 2015
    Trent09
    Hello dear, a professional photographer can help you with all this and relieve you from all the stress. I also had a party at best rooftop bar nyc last week and my photographer was really co-operative.