1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7, Voigtlander, and other legacy glass - which handles best?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by crashwins, Jul 17, 2014.

1. crashwins

crashwins TalkEmount Regular

Jul 17, 2014
    I recently sold off my 5D3 and I'm on my heels to plunge into Sony, but if I can't find suitable and usable legacy glass solutions, I'll take the $1100 I'd drop on an A7 body and grab a Fuji X again and their gorgeous 35R.

I am very interested in trying that Leica, m-mount experience that I see so many people doing with their Sonys. The internet is SO full of subjective experiences that I can't tell what from what. Also, lots of information I find is dated, not considering newer adapters, etc..

Wondering if anyone could fill me in. I'm simply interested in a 50mm setup and a wide angle, not faster than f1.4 and certainly not so big it kills the compact nature of the A7. Might also grab an 85, but 50 typically does it for me. I see lots of Voigtlanders in m-mount that seem to be popular on the A7, but how do they perform? Are they sharp wide open or soft; is there lots of vignetting?

The Voigtlander Nokton f/1.5 Asph seems to be doing a hell of a job here (http://petapixel.com/2014/02/20/one-journey-two-cameras-sony-a7r-leica-m-monochrom/) but no real discussion of the quality. Anyone have experience with this or something similar?

I also see the Rokinons as good options for Sony, but I don't see any images anywhere of them mounted to A7. On my 5D2 they were beastly - not really looking for the same on a compact kit, unless I'm doing video, which is why I had it before.

Anyway, sorry for the run-on..I want to secure something before the summer passes on too much! Thanks!

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've stayed with SLR legacy lenses since they are much cheaper and easier to find and do not suffer from nearly as many sensor compatibility issues. In terms of size, most 50mm lenses in the 1:1.7 to 1:2 range are not terribly big, even on an adapter. Ditto 35mm 1:2.8.

I've certainly been tempted to get into rangefinder glass, but at those prices - even for the Voigtlander stuff - I figure I might as well go ahead and get the Sony FE primes. AF and EXIF aperture data would be great to have again and the performance on the A7(r/s) is going to be tough to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran