1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sony A7/R III firmware 2.0 update released!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    You can find your firmware update here :
    Support for E-Mount Body | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony USA

The big perk is that it allows full AF functions via the Sony LA-EA3 adapter, interestingly enough, my Commlite ENF-E1 PRO Nikon AF adapter also has benefited from the update allowing full AF group functions for my Nikon glass! Though I'm a little bummed the A7/RII haven't received FW updates for this since it also addresses extra functionality using the 400mm and 24mm GM lenses.

Update: Also allows full AF group functions via the TAP and I'm presuming most AF adapters as well. :D 

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

:( 

Well, I'm certainly not going to go out and get an RIII just for full 24mm f/1.4 support.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    And I'm not running out to buy the 400mm just because my A7R3 now supports it. :rolleyes-20:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. dburanich

dburanich TalkEmount Regular

May 19, 2018
    Southern Cal
    Thanks Jonathan.
    I updated my firmware .
    Was surprised it would not recognize my micro USB cable.
    Once I switched to the USB-C cable Voila.
    All went well.

5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Same here, I had to do the same! A really weird quirk for sure. Not everyone has a USB-C cable either. By any chance are you on a Mac?

6. dburanich

dburanich TalkEmount Regular

May 19, 2018
    Southern Cal
    I do have a Mac but did not use it for this. It belongs to my better half.
    I used a Win 7 machine.
    I bought the USB-C cable to do a factory reset on a Apple - TV box.
    From what I understand that is the only cable that will do it.
    Was just laying around but it served me well.

7. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm on a Mac, so I guess it affects both OS FW updates. Wow, pretty odd Sony would do that considering they don't supply a USB-C cord. Also the USB Type-C cable also works well for charging the camera while doing video. There will be a slight power drain, but once off it will charge to full capacity.

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto TalkEmount Rookie Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2018
    So Cal Desert
    Jim
    I used the Sony supplied Micro USB cable on my Mac with with no issue. Did have a problem getting the updater to start as described below. Once started the update took about 13 minutes total.

I use Macs and once downloaded and opening the .DMG file you get a window with "Resources Folder" and the "UpdatingSettingTool.app". Double clicking the Updating app did nothing, it seems the link to the files in the Resource folder are bad. To make this work do the following:

1. Open the Resources folder and select "SystemSoftwareUpdater.app" and Right Click on it (double clicking won't work for what's needed, you must right click, or hold the Control key and click). The 2nd item in the list that pops up should be Show Package Contents. Click this and a new window opens with a Contents Folder.
    2. Open the Contents folder and there are 3 Folders and 2 Files.
    3. Open the 2nd Folder "MacOS" and inside is a single file called "SystemSoftwareUpdater". Double click this and the process starts, and it will ask you for your computer PW. Once entered a new updater screen appears and tells you to now connect the camera via USB.
    4. Follow the screen of the camera to connect via Mass Storage then use the computer updater screen for the rest. Ignore any other open window, in fact you can close them all except for the one showing the update progress.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I'm wondering why there's no update for the A7RII.........

10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    here i am with my shiny new 400mm and a7rIII and 24mm 1.4 like... phew... thank god I got that update... I had NOTHING to shoot!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    At this point, I'm not expecting any further updates for II-generation cameras. I'd love to be wrong.

Wow - big update for you - nice!

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You may well be right. However, in the past Sony sometimes issued updates for older cameras to accommodate new lenses, so maybe, just maybe, they'll come up with updates for Mark II cameras to cater for the GM 2.8/400 and 1.4/24. If there's one thing I really hate about Sony, it is their blunt refusal to enhance older cameras with functions that are purely software and could thus be easily retrofitted into older models. Look at Fuji how they handle that, they go the extra mile to enhance the functionality of older models. At the moment I'm too deeply entrenched in the Sony system to leave it just like that, but if the time comes that there are worthy alternatives in other mirrorless FF systems for the Zeiss Loxia's and Voigtländer's native FE lenses, I might reconsider and dump Sony for an other manufacturer that is more interested in building a long-term relationship with its user base. That may take years however.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Sony's firmware/software/UI development always seems to me like it must be a couple of guys in a corner of a cube farm who never have time to do anything the right way the first time, much less add functions you'd think they would have done by now, e.g. an intervalometer. A company the size of Sony could at least hire some interns to fix the really annoying but simple things, too, which I think would buy them a lot of customer appreciation and loyalty. Fuji always seems to come up along with this topic. I've heard an argument that Fuji simply adds things that should have been in the camera in the first place. Maybe, I do not know and have no experience with the company's products. I am satisfied enough with Sony at this point. Since I have been switching over to mostly native-mount glass (esp. Voigtlander) I do not want the pain of building up a new kit on another mount. This is a reason some people stick to adapted glass - ease of switching. I almost went that route myself, but since I did not, I doubt I will switch anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It was frustrating on my iMac - kept trying to run "UpdateSettingTool" then "DriverLoader" (supposedly for OS10.13) over and over and nothing would happen. Rebooting didn't help. Just before giving up, I looked in the "Resources" folder in the "Update" drive. There was an app called "SystemSoftwareUpdater" which finally worked.
    Could have been quite a bit less hassle with slightly better documentation. (The instructions on their web page were basically wrong.)
    I hope I see a bit of extra speed or stability or something for all that trouble. At least I'm all set to get the 24/1.4 now if I want. (And I do want...)

15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I truly don't understand why Sony is still sticking to this method of firmware updating. One is under the mercy of other companies. Must be compatible with their iterations of OSes.
    These cameras should use one of two superior methods...either upload the firmware from the SD card, like Canon, or connect directly to Sony's FTP server. These cameras all have WiFi. You have a more stable and secure process. Assure authenticity, assure it's only a Sony camera and the correct model that's accessing a firmware update, code into the process to verify the battery is a Sony one and at 100% charge. No damn Sony multi-function USB cable needed!

Sony wants to wow its customer base, well, wow us with a better firmware updater!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    And while they're at it, wow those of us with older cameras with some firmware updates that bring new capabilities. :cautious:

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.