Sony A7 or Sony A7 MII or wait ....

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by asterinex, Aug 9, 2016.

1. asterinex

asterinex TalkEmount Regular

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    Is sold my private owned Sony A7 because I can buy a new Camera for my company.
    I mainly shoot with adapted legacy glass (90%). Should I go for the Sony A7 again or pay more for the Sony A7 MII. Price difference is 700 euros ! That's a the price of a new Zeiss :)
    Or is there something new comming on the horizon, an A7 MIII ?
    I was hoping for a price drop of the MKII.

Sony A7 : Pro's : good price
    Cons : no Ibis, build quality(loosening mount problems)
    Sony A7MII Pro's : Build quality, IBIS
    Cons : expensive and no improvement on IQ
    Sony A7MIII : when ?
    What would you do ?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    IMHO it's a very personal thing if you want to play the waiting game for a yet-to-be-announced camera or not. There are some rumours about a flagship camera that supposedly will be different from the A7 Series; expect the price to be significantly higher than that of the A7R2. Nothing, however flimsy, in terms of rumours on Mark III versions of the present A7 series, as far as I know.

Some more considerations:
    • A7M2 offers the option of uncompressed raw, resulting in true 14-bits resolution as opposed to 13-bits for the A7. This is only important for low ISO as noise will defeat this advantage at higher ISO values.
    • The A7M2 is the current model, meaning that Sony will update firmware to some degree; the A7 only seems to get updates for new lenses. Sony has a bad reputation, deservedly so IMHO, for leaving their old stuff out in the cold when it comes to adding features with firmware updates. Compare that to Fuji for instance, who update even their oldest models with additions of features within the hardware constraints of the camera in question.
    • A7M2 has a different shutter button placement and some other UI changes.
    • A7M2 is heavier than A7.
    • Battery grip and L-plate models differ for the Mark I and Mark II A7 cameras. Might be a consideration when considering future updates. No one can tell if there are going to be Mark III updates and if the present accessories will be compatible.
    • Not important for legacy glass, but the A7M2's AF is a step-up from the A7's.

3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    if you shoot 90% adapted glass... i'd def recommend the a7m2! the ibis has made my legacy glass shine!

4. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    What do you shoot? For daylight/landscape use the A7 will do great. If you shoot a lot of low light with legacy glass the IBIS is worth the price. If you shoot tele legacy lenses it's huge advantage.

If the A7 fits your budget better it's a good way to get in full-frame game. At the prices you can buy them for, you cant get hurt much if you decide to upgrade later.

(I started w/ A7 and still have, have shot the 7ii a fair amount, just got 7Rii)

5. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I agree with Matt. Among pros and cons, ibis with legacy glass is a very, very significant pro! It cannot stop moving objects, of course, but it offers a couple f stops of options to you for exposures.

If your budget can tolerate the additional expense and if I give no weight to rumors and possibilities of the future, then the A7M2 is my recommendation today.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    And I agree with Bert and Matt, IBIS makes all your legacy glass much more useable. If price is the hurdle, you may want to consider buying a used A7II. I bought mine more than a year and a half ago from one of our forum members (serhan), and it continues to work flawlessly. And I don't baby my gear.

7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Here's another vote for the A7ii.
    I'm 100% legacy glass as I don't have any Sony lenses.
    I can't imagine NOT getting an A7ii because of the IBIS and what you gain with it.
    I've hand held some shots I wouldn't have even considered taking with my Nex-7.
    And as far as waiting for a newer model to be released, think about all the shots you'll miss while waiting....and waiting....and waiting....

Oh, and I bought a used A7ii too.

8. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    I'm a fairly recent newcomer to Sony. A7ii and A7 purchased within the last couple months.

Same sensor in both, so no update there. IBIS is wonderful with legacy glass as above, but it does draw a fairly significant amount of battery power when activated. Since the battery life of the A7x series is not stellar to begin with, this may make a difference to you.

I consider the A7ii my "main" body with the A7 as a backup. If I'm shooting on a tripod, no problem using the A7 instead.

The on/off switch placement has changed from the A7 (behind the shutter release) to surrounding it on the A7ii. On the A7, my finger is always trying to find it around the shutter release, and it takes me a moment to realize it's not there. Minor niggle but one to be aware of.

9. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    thx for the opions.

How does IBIS work in A-Mode ? Does the Camera calculates the IBIS into ISO and shutterspeed automatically ?

10. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    As far as I know, IBIS works in all exposure modes. With third party/legacy lenses, you must input the focal length of the lens; otherwise the camera doesn't know what lens is mounted, and can't provide the appropriate amount of stabilization.

IBIS has been very effective when I used my 105/2.8 Micro-Nikkor. If I tried using the same lens on a current Nikon body, I'd get camera shake all over the place in low light. My 105 Micro is not a stabilized lens using Nikon bodies, but works just dandy with my A7ii.

11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Remember, you only get 2 axis stabilization with legacy glass, not 5 like you do with Sony lenses.
    2 is better than none as far as I'm concerned.

12. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Pretty sure you get 5 axis with all lenses. With Sony stabilized lenses the two work together to optimize results.

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Sorry, I was mistaken above, you only get 3 axis with legacy glass.
    See this for an explanation: Sony A7II Hands-On Review

14. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    I'm still deciding ..... lol :)

If I had money enough I would buy the Sony A7II because of the IBIS. Simple.

But the price difference is almost double !

975 euros for the A7
    1760 euros for the A7II

Should I spent 800 euros more for the latter ?

I could buy an extra Ricoh GRII Silver Edition for that :)

Please help me .

• Like Like x 1
  15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    From all the Tiny lil bugs that came with the a7 (their first attempt) and all the extras that come with the a7ii it seems like a no brainer to me. Pretty much zero chance of light leaks. Slightly better button placement (subjective), stronger and more rugged body (magnesium alloy), PDAF with adapters, AND IBIS....

If you have any Decent or somewhat decent legacy glass. It seems to me that you get much more use out of the a7ii vs the a7. Of course YMMV. In my case I owned Zero Full Frame native lenses when I purchased the a7ii. That still holds true for me today. (oops I forgot about my friend the 28f2[emoji12] ) My legacy glass and a handful of adapted full frame lenses gets me by just fine.. Of course that might change if my wallet suddenly becomes overweight.
    Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Heh, I keep mixing this thread and the A7 vs A7ii with Zeiss CY lenses thread.

Not sure what you meant by, "I can buy a new Camera for my company". You say you sold your privately owned A7. So I presume you work someplace, and they would pay for (and own) the camera? Or you are the company and it becomes a "company expense"? Or something else? Company requirements could severely limit your options. If it's a company camera, what are their expectations for it's use? Native lenses, or adapted? Will you be the only user of the camera?

If the camera is just for you to use, and all you will be using on it is your privately owned legacy glass, then the A7ii wins hands down over the A7 because of the IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  17. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    Yes , that is the case. I can buy it as company expense, but it will mostly be used privatly:)

I think you and Unlo are right, I have to go for the Sony A7II.
    I have a lot of (the finest) legacy glass: C/Y 35/1.4 50/1.4 and Vario-Sonnar35-70, Summicron-R 35mm and 50mm, m42 Pancolar 80/1.8, etc...... :)

I probably goe for the Sony A7II :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    Unlom, Dbmiller, thx alot, because of your post I bought yesterday the A7II. I do not regret it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Excellent choice

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1