1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7 II Ibis in A-Mode

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by asterinex, Sep 10, 2016.

1. asterinex

asterinex TalkEmount Regular

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    Hello Folks,

I just bought the Sony A7II. My first camera with IBIS. I shoot with manual focus glass almost always in A-Mode.
    What does the camera do when IBIS is on ?
    Lower the ISO ?

2. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    The camera has a set of sensors in the body to detect motion of the camera. When IBIS is on, actuators inside the camera move the sensor relative to the rest of the camera with the goal of keeping the sensor stationary in space so the image is not blurred by camera motion.

The slower the shutter speed the greater the benefit of stabilization - up to the point where the shutter is so slow that the IBIS is no longer able to compensate for all of the motion that happens while the shutter is open. If your camera is on a tripod, there is almost no motion, so IBIS does not really provide a benefit in that case.

The effect on ISO is indirect - the ability to use a slower shutter speed without blurring allows the use of a lower ISO to reduce the noise that appears with higher ISO.

- Tom -

• Like Like x 1
  3. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Congratulations... anxious to see your images

• Like Like x 1
  4. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    If I'm right, the advantage of IBIS is actually to be able to shoot with lower shutter speeds. And for this reason ISO can be set lower which results in less noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    May I throw in a question relative to this post please? I am going to buy the A7II because if it IBIS feature. As can be noted I currently own the A6000 with various stabilised lens and adaptors.
    Question : What effect if any the stabilised lens will have when used with the A7II and will the AF features work as well?

6. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    You should get the full 5-axis stabilization with those lenses, along with AF.
    Should work geat, if my experience with only manual focus lenses is any indication of what can be done.

As an example, my latest picture in the pic a day thread of the yellow Model A is hand held, 1/10 sec, no flash.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Thanks for the quick response. Nice shot of the Model A. The Camera Store where I get my gear from will allow me to place the different lenses on the A7II (when they get it that is) to make sure that I am happy. From your comments though, this should not be a problem.

8. asterinex

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    What I did is set max. iso to 1600. The IBIS does the rest :) most of the time