1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7 DRO setting and RAW Files

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rkworld, Nov 2, 2014.

1. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    NYC
    Roman
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    DRO off, I was getting underexposed images by 1-1.5 ev with it on.

3. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    That's very informative read on DRO. I didn't know that it will underexpose RAW.

4. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks Roman! I have wondered about to do with DRO (now that I shoot in RAW). :popcorm2: curious to hear what the input is going to be on this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Wow. I did not know this. I always used the dro5 on the settings just so I could pull more from the jpg. Thought it had no effect on the raw

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for posting that, Roman. I've never used DRO, but reading the thread just sort of reinforces my "don't press any button unless you understand what it does" rule. :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    • Like Like x 2
  8. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    That's very interesting, I wondered why the A7R underexposed all the time! I had mine set for auto.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same here - did not know that DRO affects the RAW files!!!
    Thanks for the info :thumbup:

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    But on the other hand, if DRO will force an underexposure, what's the purrpose and what do you gain if having DRO turned on???

• Like Like x 1
  11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It enhances dynamic range.

12. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    So it begs the question if it is really under exposing. It's reducing the blown areas and doing it at a photo site level so the overall impression is the image is underexposed, however at a site by site level it's choosing to not over expose.
    I shoot with it on most of the time as I find it does help with dynamic range, and while an 'auto fix' in post might boost exposure as it thinks it is under this is easily avoided.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I agree. I understand why the DRO setting in the camera might reduce the exposure a bit (to avoid saturation of highlights). But other than that it seems to have have no irreversible affect on the raw file. Sony's Image Data Converter allows DRO to be turned off in post processing, which is evidence that the raw file isn't affected by the DRO setting.

Can someone tell me if non-Sony raw post processing programs support adjustment of the DRO setting? If Lightroom and similar 3rd party software doesn't allow DRO to be turned off, that would be a good reason to turn DRO off when shooting.

I have found that shadow areas sometimes get quite noisy with DRO turned on. That doesn't surprise me though, since the camera is boosting the gain (ISO) in the shadow areas to reduce the dynamic range of the captured image. Increasing gain always amplifies noise.