1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

sony a7 + canon eos adaptor with aperture

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alainib, May 26, 2014.

1. alainib

alainib TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    montpellier france
    alain
    Hello everybody.

I buy a new sony a7 and i want to protect the sensor from dust ( the sony's engineer don't make a simple solution to close one of the curtain with a button for changing lens safely ... )

I see on ebay some adaptor with build in aperture for canon eos to emount. i want to use m42,leica r, contax, minolta md, olympus lenses and all have low cost adaptor to canon eos so it could be a good solution. i just want to use this kind of adaptor to close the build-in aperture only will changing lens.

Did the adaptor with build in aperture work on full frame without vigneting and with very fast lenses like 1.4 ?

Thanks

best regards

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't think this plan will work, since it will greatly increase the lens-to-sensor distance. But cleaning the sensor is child's play on these cameras when you use something like this LENSPEN sensor cleaner kit. I've done it plenty of times on both my old NEX and now with the A7.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Agreed - don't worry about sensor dust. Just clean it occasionally.

4. alainib

Dec 20, 2013
    montpellier france
    alain
    thanks for your fast answers.
    i don't get why it will increase the lens-to-sensor distance. a canon eos to sony + contax to canon eos should have the same distance than a contax to sony nex no ?

i try a low cost "tab cleaner" (5euros) that i buy from ebay, very bad result because it left marks on the sensor. which brand do you recommend please ?

thanks

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your intention, but your plan will increase the distance between the lens and the sensor because you have two adapters between them instead just one. So the lens will be too far away to focus correctly.

As for the brand of sensor cleaner I recommend, please see the link in my first reply. Many online camera retailers (Amazon, B&H, etc.) carry them.

6. alainib

Dec 20, 2013
    montpellier france
    alain
    sorry i'm surely not clear/ making good english sentences.

i think that the two (small) adapters have the same size than the biggest one, i use this on my sony 5n and it works good :
    contax yashica to canon eos + canon eos to sony nex = contax yashica to sony nex
    or
    m42 to canon eos + canon eos to sony nex

moreover i found having many thin adaptor for canon eos mount is lighest than many adaptor for sony nex mount

thank you, i see the kit link. i will search for the pen

7. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    You are correct, you could have Camera+Nex/Canon Adapter+Canon/Contax Adaptor+Contax Lens... BUT having 2 adaptors introduces more chance of distance errors, so infinity focus may not be quite possible, and you may get light leaks...

For me it is just easier to have Nex adaptors and clean the sensor every few weeks with a GOOD cleaning kit like WoodWorks suggested. I guess $5 you get bad quality!

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No, it's my fault. I've never considered your approach, Alain. And you should try to read my French sometime...:p

9. alainib

Dec 20, 2013
    montpellier france
    alain
    with pleasure when you want.