Sony A7/A7R III firmware 3.0 update just released!

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
The new fw 3.0 update with animal eye AF was just released for the A7III and A7RIII. You can now reprogram one of your function buttons to also include real-time eye-AF and even toggle human/animal eye-AF!

I just updated my A7III and it seems to work fine! BTW - Sony's doing this new thing when you get to the download page, they ask you to signup for an account, just scroll down to the bottom of the page and proceed to download without an account. ;) Enjoy!

A7III firmware 3.0 update:
Support for ILCE-7M3 | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony USA

A7RIII firmware 3.0 update:
Support for ILCE-7RM3 | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony USA

Strider64

TalkEmount Regular
The new fw 3.0 update with animal eye AF was just released for the A7III and A7RIII. You can now reprogram one of your function buttons to also include real-time eye-AF and even toggle human/animal eye-AF!

I just updated my A7III and it seems to work fine! BTW - Sony's doing this new thing when you get to the download page, they ask you to signup for an account, just scroll down to the bottom of the page and proceed to download without an account. ;) Enjoy!

A7III firmware 3.0 update:
Support for ILCE-7M3 | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony USA

A7RIII firmware 3.0 update:
Support for ILCE-7RM3 | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony USA
I have a feeling that future firmware updates might not be as Free as they are offering this year. Though I hope I am wrong in feeling this way.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have a feeling that future firmware updates might not be as Free as they are offering this year. Though I hope I am wrong in feeling this way.
I don't see it happening. That's a sure way to alienate customers! The way I see it, they should just calculate firmware updates into the price of the camera, especially if it has a shelf life of about 4 years before being upgraded.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I don't think they will start charging for it. While computer software upgrades often have a cost, firmware upgrades usually do not (in my experience). I agree it would alienate people, and more updates like this would win them lots of loyalty, I think.

I've read the animal eye-AF is working really well for pets. That was a smart move on Sony's part.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
After trying real-time Eye-AF, I think I still prefer the button press method for eye-AF or at least have the option to still activate it on a separate custom button. I tried shooting my kids and I like being able to activate it the moment they look towards me as opposed to having the camera trying to search for their eyeballs/face. Works better for more static models and energetic kids!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom