1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sony A7/A7R III firmware 3.0 update just released!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Apr 11, 2019.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    The new fw 3.0 update with animal eye AF was just released for the A7III and A7RIII. You can now reprogram one of your function buttons to also include real-time eye-AF and even toggle human/animal eye-AF!

I just updated my A7III and it seems to work fine! BTW - Sony's doing this new thing when you get to the download page, they ask you to signup for an account, just scroll down to the bottom of the page and proceed to download without an account. ;)  Enjoy!

A7III firmware 3.0 update:
    Support for ILCE-7M3 | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony USA

A7RIII firmware 3.0 update:
    Support for ILCE-7RM3 | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony USA

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Is AF speed generally improved as well, or just the added AF features?

3. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    AF speed seems the same, but there's also an interval shooting mode now.

4. Strider64

Strider64 TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Livonia, Michigan
    I have a feeling that future firmware updates might not be as Free as they are offering this year. Though I hope I am wrong in feeling this way.

5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I don't see it happening. That's a sure way to alienate customers! The way I see it, they should just calculate firmware updates into the price of the camera, especially if it has a shelf life of about 4 years before being upgraded.

6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I don't think they will start charging for it. While computer software upgrades often have a cost, firmware upgrades usually do not (in my experience). I agree it would alienate people, and more updates like this would win them lots of loyalty, I think.

I've read the animal eye-AF is working really well for pets. That was a smart move on Sony's part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    After trying real-time Eye-AF, I think I still prefer the button press method for eye-AF or at least have the option to still activate it on a separate custom button. I tried shooting my kids and I like being able to activate it the moment they look towards me as opposed to having the camera trying to search for their eyeballs/face. Works better for more static models and energetic kids!

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.