• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony A6000 Review – a Modern Classic in 2020?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
While I would not trade it for my A7Riii, the A6000 was a great camera for me when I had it. Obviously they have added considerable features to the series since, but that first model was a very solid performer.

Time will tell if the photography world regards it as a classic.

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
I'm guessing it's one of the top selling cameras of all-time.

I was kinda bummed when it came out as a "replacement" for the NEX-7 as I really enjoyed the Tri-Nav function of the NEX-7. After using the a6000 for about a year I grew to really like it and realize how much of a bargain it was. It's still a very viable camera both image quality wise, Auto focus and video.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I wouldn't touch an A6000 if someone gave it to me. I actually prefer the NEX-6 (better build, solid 16mp sensor) or the A6300 (introduced real OSPDAF, silent shutter, plus excellent battery life compared to the power hungry A6500).

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
My a6000 (purchased used) was a fantastic entry into mirrorless for me, and a great value. I’ve had friends take up photography, and have consistently pointed them that direction with happy results. Sure, there are nits to pick. But my current A7Rii has plenty of its own as well. As do most newer bodies. The a6000 is already standing the test of time and I bet it will keep doing so because, in the end, it makes great images most of the time for most folks.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Am thinkin' if the A6000 is so laudable the A6300 etal must be quite nice...if the next iteration simply has a larger sensor...we will know, won't we? But, this stuff is so relative/subjective...does that change much. We all learn to "accommodate" each version.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I still have my a6000 as it makes for a great small form factor travel camera. (also a nice street photography system.) On a Peak Design carrying clip, it's noticeably smaller and lighter on one's chest.
I don't find a need to upgrade it for stills I shoot. I'll use it till I break it and squeeze out the max value from it. Then probably get an a6400.

Kirkp

TalkEmount Regular
The A6000 is still my main camera and probably will be until I have a compelling reason (in terms of missed shots) to spend the dough on something better. I’d rather empty my piggy bank on a new lens—probably an SEL70350G. I’m not contemplating going full frame any time soon—otherwise I wouldn’t consider an expensive APS-C lens.

My first mirrorless was a NEX-6. I’ll often bring both bodies with a telephoto on one and an everyday zoom on the other. Having different menus and button layouts on the two bodies can be a little confusing, but it’s not that hard to deal with. The NEX-6 has a significantly higher resolution EVF. That’s something I miss when using the A6000, so I use focus magnifier more often than I’s need to with a higher resolution EVF.

I grabbed an A3000 a few years ago when they were closing out. The EVF, LCD and capabilities are a big step down from the other two, but it takes great photos if you can work around the limitations. Lately I’ve kept a Rokinon 12mm/F2.8 manual-focus lens mounted on it and will bring it on an outing if I think I’ll need to go between different lenses frequently or in less than pristine environments.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I still have my a6000 as it makes for a great small form factor travel camera. (also a nice street photography system.) On a Peak Design carrying clip, it's noticeably smaller and lighter on one's chest.
I don't find a need to upgrade it for stills I shoot. I'll use it till I break it and squeeze out the max value from it. Then probably get an a6400.
+1.
In fact, I was going to buy a GX7 to use, as smaller, but changed my mind. I like small and my 6300 does it...almost all...and luv that peaking thingy...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I love the menu selections of later Sony cameras and find the menus on my A7iii and A6600 very easy to use since there is a great deal of customizing allowed. OTOH, I have an NEX-7 camera set up for full time infrared shooting and the menu on that camera is terrible in comparison with later Sony cameras.
I switched over to Sony mainly to take advantage of Eye-AF (Animal Eye-AF was a bonus). The Sony A6000 has Eye-AF capability but, the Eye-AF on the A6400 and A6600 is better.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Kirk, makes it..."working around limitations, which is what we all do, right?

And Richard C, would I be off by suggesting "is better" is subjective? As implied, we work around stuff, all of us, in many takes.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Better in that the Eye-AF is full-time and doesn't have to be initiated and better in that there is Animal Eye-AF... Animal Eye-AF may not be important to some photographers but, I find it very handy since I photograph over a hundred dogs a year for my rescue group.
Using continuous Animal Eye-AF can easily keep the eyes of my dog subject in focus while I concentrate on pose and composition...

Kirkp

TalkEmount Regular
... Eye-AF may not be important to some photographers but, I find it very handy since I photograph over a hundred dogs a year for my rescue group. ...
That’s the kind of rationale I’ll need before I upgrade from the A6000. If I find I’m starting to miss critical shots because of a limitation I’ll start shopping. 🙂

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
That’s the kind of rationale I’ll need before I upgrade from the A6000. If I find I’m starting to miss critical shots because of a limitation I’ll start shopping. 🙂
Sometimes I upgrade camera or lenses, not because I am missing shots but because the upgrades are just more enjoyable for me to use.
Lots of folks say - what do you need Animal Eye-AF for? Can't you nail your portraits of dogs without Animal Eye-AF?
Sure I can! I have been photographing dogs for over twenty-five years and have probably done portraits of many thousand dogs. I did dog photography with manual focus lenses before I ever owned an autofocus lens. However now, I enjoy using the Sony cameras and associated lenses very much... The Animal Eye-AF is just one aspect of the Sony gear that I enjoy using...

Top Bottom