Sony A6000 + FE 70-200 G OSS at Avalon Airshow 2015

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Snowy, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    One reason I have held onto a DSLR up until now was for airshow photography. This past weekend I had a good opportunity to try out my new Sony A6000 paired with my FE 70-200 G OSS lens. While there was too much cloud cover to be ideal, I am happy to report that the combination performed every bit as well as my DSLR. In fact in most cases it was much better, with generally sharper results overall. Any faults in the resultant images were due to my technique, not the equipment.

The EVF was much more pleasing to use. The 11fps was actually ridiculously fast when I tried it later in the evening. At that setting it fires faster than a Thompson submachine gun and felt a bit like one too! I also tried back button focus, which I liked for this sort of photography.

For a reasonably portable body/lens package I think this combo suits my needs quite well. I took my DSLR thinking I would try them both out during the event but after a few early shots it stayed in my camera bag.

I am pleased to share a few photos and hope you like them. It is worth noting that I prefer taking photos of aircraft as they taxi, take off and land or are flying reasonably near and not in the far distance. For such long distance shots I would image the much longer focal length lenses would be more suitable.

16664968211_5d0f928ed4_b.
    Sopwith Camel
    by Barry Pate, on Flickr

16642615306_bea1f4038a_b.
    Nieuport N.11
    by Barry Pate, on Flickr

16046746413_2069962589_b.
    SE.5A
    by Barry Pate, on Flickr

16679025572_903054f36a_b.
    CAC18
    by Barry Pate, on Flickr

16494023179_e60059d9b0_b.
    RAAF FA-18 Hornet
    by Barry Pate, on Flickr

If you have any questions or comments please let me know. There are more photos from the event on my Flickr page should you be interested.

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Great shots! I like esp the second one eg it looks like it is not flying but hanging in the air:)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice series!

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done, nice variety of planes.

Looks like that combo worked well for you :)

5. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Thank you kindly for taking a look and for your comments and likes.
    (edit for spelling)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Oh my husband will love these! He is an airshow fanatic. We live near Oshkosh, WI and go to the EAA Air show every summer.

7. Michael t

Michael t New to TalkEmount

Mar 3, 2015
    Iron mountain Michigan
    Michael t richards
    Wow. I am a professional pilot and really like your photos. I just purchased an a6000 myself, stepping down from my Nikon d200 and Pentax k3 - I want more reach and am looking into lens pairings. Wondering which adaptalls work best as I have glass from Nikon, Ricoh, canon, and Pentax. Any suggestions?

8. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Thank you kindly Michael. I don't have any of those brands' lenses and so no adaptor experience for them myself but you could look at the Metabones options for them. I believe the Canon adaptors can pass electrical information but am not sure AF is that fast, reportedly.

9. Michael t

Michael t New to TalkEmount

Mar 3, 2015
    Iron mountain Michigan
    Michael t richards
    Thanks for the tip Snowy! Metabones are too pricey for my budget, thus I was wondering what adaptalls others might use. It's too bad that Sony does not have lower entry prices on their glass. I don't really care about the auto focus, just looking to put some vintage glass on my new machine.

How much snow do you get down unda?

10. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Wow, great shots, worth of official prints.

11. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Dumb adaptors might be ok if you don't need AF. I use a cheap $15 NEX to MD adaptor for my Rokkors. Perhaps there are similar for your lenses. Check this out:
    http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-lens-mount-adapters/

We get some snow in the mountains in our winter.

12. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Very kind of you. Thank you.