Sony A6000 - astrophotography

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tbyork2014, Oct 11, 2014.

1. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    I've just posted about my experience using the unmodified Sony A6000 for astrophotography.
    This is one image captured which has subsequently been stacked in Deep Sky Stacker.
    The final stacked images are here:
    I have to say that what I have written are my initial impressions, which are that the A6000 works pretty well for astrophotography. I do need more time using it though to truly tease out the negatives with this camera. One thing I will need to explore, is whether the contrast-detect pixels do have an impact on the images captured.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    The final stacked image on your website is damn impressive.
  3. tbyork2014

Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks. I think if I had used higher ISO, perhaps I would have captured even more detail. Just goes to show that the digital camera captures more detail than we think.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    yes the galaxy stack is good -a slight green hue for me though -usually it has a creamier colour -what iso were you using: so far in my testing the sony cams can be pushed to iso3200
    what f/l was it shot at? unfortunately andromeda is too low for me down here in Australia to capture
  5. tbyork2014

Jan 11, 2014
    I think the colour has to do with the use of the Astronomik CLS-CCD filter. Plus the A6000 is Unmodified, so will not be as sensitive in the H-alpha region. But it should be something which can be improved by setting the right white balance. I used a combination of both ISO 400 and 800 subs. So did not push the camera at all. I will try this using ISO 1600, 3200 and 6400 to see what results I get. But I am limited significantly by light pollution where I live. I used the William Optics Megrez 72 which is 430mm (= 645mm on A6000).