Sony A3000 for $259.

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by lenshoarder, Jan 29, 2014.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Sony A3000 for $249.

Buydig has the A3000 for $249. Add it to your cart to see the price. Finally, we are almost at Australian pricing. Makes it hard to hold out for the NEX 7 replacement.

www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=EMSNILCE3000K/

Update. $249 now.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is an interesting device.

Lots of potential wrapped in a budget body at a great price.

3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    This is creeping down to around £200 here in the UK...however, it needs to get much cheaper because it's poorly implemented and there are MUCH better cameras for not much more. the v/f is VERY small...only really a 'site' to aim the camera as you can't really discern any detail....At least I suppose it teaches you to use broad areas for composition! Also, it's BIG,...no competiton for NEX 7 at all as it's bulky and plasticky with crude controls.

........It would make a good imaging unit for a drone or helicopter due to cheapness and simplicity.

For just a little more there are some excellent cameras currently being sold off.......panasonic lumix G5 is incredibly well implemented and designed and then there is the superb Canon M which is very nicely done and is the camera that the NEX 5 & 3 should have been.

4. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    The reports of the A300 being poorly implemented are very much overblown. Go try using one. While the numbers for the EVF and LCD look really bad on paper, in real life that don't get in the way very much if at all. Both are perfectly usable. The rest of the camera performs basically the same as a NEX 3N. They put the money where it matters, to get great IQ. As for competition for the NEX 7, until the A5000 comes out the A3000 has the 2nd best IQ of any of the e mount cameras bested only by the NEX 7. It's better than the 3, 5 or 6. All that for the princely sum of $259. For the money, you can't buy a better camera.

To me, the highest priority for any camera is how well it takes pictures. How good is the IQ? In that regard, the A3000 pummels the G5 at half the cost. As for the Canon M, it was a poor attempt at cloning the NEX 3 and 5. The Canon M stands as the slowest camera I've used that wasn't made out of wood. I seriously thought it was broken the first time I tried talking a shot. It took so long to focus that I wasn't sure I had even hit the shutter.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There is much more in A3000 than just (bad) EVF. For me one important aspect is possibility of wired remote and another is ISO hot shoe. Ebay.de has got one body for 180 Euro. That is dirt cheap.

For the EVF, using Pentax K1000 with f:5.6 lens wasn't picnic either. The only thing holding me back is lack of support in Raw Therapee. I think that it will have it pretty soon as DCRaw has got it now.

I think that bad EVF and LCD are mainly marketing ideas. If A3000 had even slightly better EVF it would cut into sales of more expensive models. Sony Nex 7 price is pretty low too, here in Finland A3000 sells for something like 380 Euro and Cyberfoto (Swedish mail order company) has got Nex 7 for 566 Euro.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see more info backing this^^ up

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I did play with one and could not get over the cheapness and poor layout.

But for the price, it is a real steal.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There is no good way to say what is best. However Dxomark gives A3000 78 points and Nex 7 81 points, rest of Nexes are 78 or below. I think that differences this small are not meaningful.

I think that Nikon D3100 (Dxomark 67) and Canon Eos M (Dxomark 65) and Canon 1100D (Dxomark 62) are big name contenders so I think that image wise A3000 is pretty good in its price group.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Look at the DXO marks and you'll see the A3000 is a match for any NEX other than the NEX 7. The thing that DXO doesn't measure is resolution. That's where the A3000's 20MP gives it a leg up over the 16MP NEX cameras.

"Sony A3000 is capable of resolving up to around 26 (line widths per picture height x100) in its highest quality JPEG files."
    http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...slrs-hybrids/sony-alpha-3000-1174421/review/4

"Sony NEX-6 is capable of resolving up to around 24 (line widths per picture height x100) in its highest quality JPEG files."
    http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...ital-slrs-hybrids/sony-nex-6-1096526/review/4

• Like Like x 2
  10. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Down to $249.

11. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Are prices in USA cheaper than in Europe?

Alex

12. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Generally yes. The US tends to be cheaper than anywhere else, including China where everything is made. There are exceptions. The A3000 is cheapest in Australia by about $2 the last time I checked.

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Even taking VAT in consideration. Sales tax is significantly lower than VAT in Europe. Something like 25% vs. 8%.