Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens hood falls off

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have noticed some problems with the OEM Sony lens hood falling off when I carry the camera/lens on my Black Rapid Strap... Luckily, I have a round, screw-in metal lens hood which seems to solve that problem. It shades and protects the lens as well as the original hood but, it doesn't fall off. I will use this hood when I carry the camera/lens at the end of the Black Rapid strap. No problem at all when I carry the camera/lens on a Peak Design neck strap but, I tend to use the Black Rapid when I am carrying a second camera...

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I usually leave a small piece of gaffer tape on my lens hoods. When I use the hood, I place the tape between the lens and hood so it doesn't inadvertently get knocked off. Plus the adhesive on gaffer tape is safe when used on camera equipment.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
FE85/1.8? The lens hood has, in use or reversed position a very positive click. Mine seems to hold very firmly once the "click" is engaged. I can't imagine it falling off. I'd be mortified if it did, as it is just the sort of thing that would be expensive to replace here in India.

Mind you, I don't much carry the camera or lenses around except in the bag --- where, come to think of it, looser hoods do occasionally get, errm, loose.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
One of the reasons that I don't like the Black Rapid Strap concept is that the camera can swing around quite a bit. I have had my hood came of several times carrying the camera on a Black Rapid and have solved that problem first: by taping the hood on with gaffers tape (which will not leave residue) and lately, by replacing the OEM snap on hood with a screw in hood. An advantage to the screw in hood (besides holding the hood on more securely) is that when I use a CPL filter, I screw the filter onto the lens and the hood onto the front threads of the filter. Rotating the filter is simply a factor of twisting the lens hood rather than trying to stick my fingers into the hood to grab the front element of the CPL...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom