Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens hood falls off

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have noticed some problems with the OEM Sony lens hood falling off when I carry the camera/lens on my Black Rapid Strap... Luckily, I have a round, screw-in metal lens hood which seems to solve that problem. It shades and protects the lens as well as the original hood but, it doesn't fall off. I will use this hood when I carry the camera/lens at the end of the Black Rapid strap. No problem at all when I carry the camera/lens on a Peak Design neck strap but, I tend to use the Black Rapid when I am carrying a second camera...

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I usually leave a small piece of gaffer tape on my lens hoods. When I use the hood, I place the tape between the lens and hood so it doesn't inadvertently get knocked off. Plus the adhesive on gaffer tape is safe when used on camera equipment.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
FE85/1.8? The lens hood has, in use or reversed position a very positive click. Mine seems to hold very firmly once the "click" is engaged. I can't imagine it falling off. I'd be mortified if it did, as it is just the sort of thing that would be expensive to replace here in India.

Mind you, I don't much carry the camera or lenses around except in the bag --- where, come to think of it, looser hoods do occasionally get, errm, loose.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the reasons that I don't like the Black Rapid Strap concept is that the camera can swing around quite a bit. I have had my hood came of several times carrying the camera on a Black Rapid and have solved that problem first: by taping the hood on with gaffers tape (which will not leave residue) and lately, by replacing the OEM snap on hood with a screw in hood. An advantage to the screw in hood (besides holding the hood on more securely) is that when I use a CPL filter, I screw the filter onto the lens and the hood onto the front threads of the filter. Rotating the filter is simply a factor of twisting the lens hood rather than trying to stick my fingers into the hood to grab the front element of the CPL...

Latest posts

Top Bottom