1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

sony 6 and 6000 users. This is the place to complain

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jun 13, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I am making this post to get comments for complaints or any improvement comments one has for their nex 6 and 6000 cameras,
    in terms of interface.

Do you find for example that you need more buttons? Which one would you like?
    Do you wish to have a way to change settings faster? IF yes what exactly?

This is the place for that.

Feel free to fire.

Regards
    Alex

P.S Yes I am always thinking for an upgrade but the inner voice inside me say that these are not good bodies for me

2. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I currently only have two gripes with my A6000

1) It needs a "slow" continuous shooting mode
    2) The memory card slot is too close to the door, have to grab it by the edges.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I have no complaints on my NEX6. Not anything that isn't already patently obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    There's a low, medium, and high in continuous mode. Do you need slower than low?

• Like Like x 1
  5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    probably the only gripe I have is access to the screen when mounted on a tripod.

6. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Shows how observant I am. Scratch that one off the list

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed. Some minor things, but nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 24cal

24cal New to TalkEmount

Jun 1, 2014
    West Sussex, England
    A couple of things
    1. Real time bulb display (Olympus do it)
    2. Focus display in Manual focus mode (Fujifilm do it)

Perhaps these could be addressed by firmware? Please...

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

9. zx7dave

zx7dave TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    Honolulu
    I love the a6000 for the most part...lots of good things. One thing I experienced today recording a event was that even with the screen up it got hot and shut down at 31 minutes. That was recording HD of course, but was not even on 60p. That is not good if you are recording a long event and have no backup. With that being said my a6000 and 18-105 PZ is one of the nicer video setups I have used since it has a very goo phase detection AF to keep focus sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I held on to my NEX-6 until the A6000 arrived. While I was pleased that the EVF change was really a functional non-issue, and the AF is noticeably faster, the build quality isn't up to that of the NEX-6, or at least it certainly doesn't FEEL like it is. Materials, buttons, battery door, everything feels like an under-model to the NEX-6. Pity. And could camera companies PLEASE stop putting painted hot shoes on their cameras? Silver metal is fine, maybe black anodized if you must make a fashion statement, but no paint. I was also glad to see Sony saved themselves 2¢ per camera by not including a hot shoe cover on the A6000.

BUT, it is easily the most capable camera at anywhere NEAR the price, and I love it! ...keeping the NEX-6 though. Gotta go sell some Oly gear, bye.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    That's the one thing I've been mulling -- keep the NEX6 (cheapest), swap for a6000 (some improvements), or get the a6000 and keep the NEX6, since they are both relatively inexpensive, and 2 bodies can come in handy.

12. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I love my 6000 but I will love to have a touch screen so easy and fast to choose a focus point I upgrade from a 5N to the 6000

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

13. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Auto ISO for the NEX-6 in Manual mode would make me happy. :)

14. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    My only real issue with the NEX-6 is slow start up and wake up response. High ISO is a little noisier than I like, but correctable unless I screw it up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I too went from a 6 to an a6000.

+1

Real tethered shooting is near the top of my wish list.

While the user interface has improved marginally, non-modal dials for basic settings (or even the tri navi of the 7) would keep me from yearning for a Fuji.

And I sure would like my internal level back.

Don't get me wrong ... love it and IMO an excellent value.

16. AllanCrowson

AllanCrowson New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2014
    This is not limited to the NEX-6 or Alpha 6000. I have the same beef with my A57:

When shooting RAW+JPEG, and then choosing some setting that is JPEG only, don't just complain and then do nothing! Either temporarily turn off the RAW capture until the setting is restored to something compatible with RAW (perhaps with a notification to that effect), or ask me if I want to move to JPEG! But don't just say, "Sorry, Dave, I cannot let you do that."

I propose the following message:
    "The modification you have selected for this item is not compatible with RAW capture. If you continue with this setting, RAW images will not be captured until the item is restored to a RAW-compatible setting."
    Button 1: OK
    Button 2: Cancel

• Like Like x 1
  17. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    A6000
    Flexible focus point would be a lot faster with a touch screen. As their "top of the line APS-C" mirrorless camera, it really should have a touch screen.
    The viewfinder eye sensor is too sensitive. Frequently blacks out the LCD when I shoot with the LCD tilted upward.
    Sony continues to hobble their bracketing modes.. Should allow more stops for 5 shot brackets, and allow a timer setting.
    The pop-up flash won't trigger Sony flashes so you need another flash or remote trigger (and good luck finding both MIS & TTL compatible triggers) sitting on the hotshoe just to enable off-camera wireless flash. The pop-up will supposedly trigger some 3rd party flashes, but you cannot enable the wireless flash mode on camera with just the pop-up, so something has to be on the hotshoe.
    It has a slow "cold boot" when turning it on after replacing a battery, or being turned off for a while.
    No hotshoe cover included (this is not a big deal, but it still annoys me for some reason).

I wish it had another wheel. Maybe on the grip.
    I wish it had some weather-sealing.
    I wish it could shoot HD video into something other than MTS files.
    I wish it had more settings you could map in memory mode, that memory mode had more than 3 slots, and you could map the Fn menu differently for each memory slot.
    I wish it had the ability to live-view during long exposures (like Olympus).
    I wish it had the ability to shoot auto HDR in RAW instead of just JPEG (like Pentax).
    I wish it had GPS.
    I wish someone (Metabones probably, but Sony could do it) would create a speedbooster for FE lenses on APS-C E-Mount cameras.
    I wish the Zeiss lenses weren't so expensive, and that the best E-mount constant aperture zooms were just a little faster than F4.

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    About the only thing I would change.

19. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I agree with all this

Plus...better battery life! :mad:

20. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Yes. Absolutely. This is a stupidly glaring omission (as it only takes a simple software code change to fix this - algo is there already, just needs to be enabled in M mode as an option),

Some more stupidly glaring software related issues with Nex 6:

- NR is way too strong even at Low setting, and tends to destroy shadows even in a very well exposed ISO100 photos. I am yet to see a SOOC JPEG that doesn't show some mush in the hair when zoomed in.

- Skin tones can get too orange. Especially in the artificial light.

- Fn button is limited in which commands can be assigned to it. Again, there's absolutely no reason for this other than Sony's arbitrary decision. Why can't I put FEC in Fn menu ?

- You can't see the histogram when changing EC; it looks like they didn't want to cramp the screen and went with form over function.

The top 2 issues are - to me - serious, the rest is not so important. But Auto ISO in M and the ability to not have any NR applied would make a lot of difference. Canon had this for years now.