1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony 50mm 1.8 vs. Canon EOS 50mm 1.4 ???

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WT21, Jan 20, 2014.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Wondering if anyone has done comparisons of the EOS 50mm 1.4 to the Sony e-mount 50mm 1.8.

I realize the 50/1.4 opens up wider, but it's soft wide open, so I usually stop down a little bit. Let's say both at 2.0 and beyond.

Anyone have any comments on the EOS on one of the newer Canon crop sensors vs. the SEL50 on say a NEX6?

Also, how is the AF of the SEL50 on a NEX6?

I already have EOS lenses, but just got an EOS to E adapter, but the AF is unworkable, so I'm wondering if I should just "go native" with the emount lenses.

Thanks for any help.

2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am unfamiliar with 50/1.4 but I did have 50/1.8 (the Plastic Fantastic) at some point while shooting Canon.

IMHO SEL50 beats it in every respect except perhaps sharpness - they are close in sharpness but Nifty was I think a tad sharper. But very close. Bokeh, color rendering are much better with Sony, no contest there. Low light AF hunting is a problem with both, at least SEL is reasonably fast focusing in good light. And of course it has stabilization and is much betterbuilt.

3. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Oh that makes me sad. If the SEL50 isn't as sharp as the plastic fantastic, then it will be a lot more behind the EF 50/1.4. Darn.

4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    From what I saw and read, EF50 1.8 is actually sharper than EF 50/1.4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I hear that from some folks, but I think it's wishful thinking. The 50/1.4 is soft at 1.4, so if you compare both wide open (one at 1.4, the other at 1.8) then the 50/1.4 looks softer, but at the same aperture 1.8 through to 4.0, the 1.4 is sharper than the 1.8 -- slightly in the center, and pronounced in the corners -- until they are both stopped down. At f/5.6 the lenses are pretty much equal. The 1.4 generally has slightly better bokeh and a bit more contrast. But the EF50/1.8 is a great buy and can often be found for less than $100.

6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    My info is at least several years old, when I wanted to upgrade my Nifty I first looked at 50/1.4 USM and that's when some people told me they did the same swap and felt it was less sharp between f2.8 - 4 ( I shot most of my Nifty portraits at f2.8). I ended up getting 85 1.8 which was as sharp, faster focusing, better built, and with great bokeh.

Comparing SEL50 to EF85 1.8 (which I am much more familiar with), I'd say 85 is sharper, but not drastically so. SEL is just a hair less sharp, and given just how insanely sharp the 85 was, it's not a bad thing. My copy of Nifty was as sharp as my copy of 85, but everything else was no comparison.

I'd say, go for SEL. The sharpness difference, if any, will be so minimal as to be theoretical. But you'd gain OSS, AF, full exif, and compactness. It's really a very nice lens, the only complain I have is AF speed in low light.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
  8. krosander

krosander TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 5, 2013
    Michigan
    If you're not getting the AF of the Canon 50mm 1.4, how does it stand to the MD 50mm 1.4?

9. eos me

eos me New to TalkEmount

Feb 3, 2014
    Wait am I reading this right.. I can use my Canon EF 50 f1.4 on ny new NEX3n? I'm site I'd need some kind of adapter right? (noob to the NEX...)

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    For EF you can use a cheap mechanical adapter with it's own aperture blades ( not a perfect solution, they typically only have 5-6 stop points and you don't know the stop number, but they do work).

Or, an expensive Metabones adapter, but the AF will be slooow.

Don't know if there's anything in between.

I'd start with a cheapie.

11. eos me

eos me New to TalkEmount

Feb 3, 2014
    Amamba, do you have the link for the cheapo one?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk