1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Sony 500mm F8 AF A-Mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by nathanh, Apr 18, 2015.

1. nathanh

nathanh TalkEmount Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    Essentially a re-badging of the Minolta lens of the same characteristics, this is a mirror lens. Typically mirror lenses are maligned. Lower contrast, funky bokeh. This one has a claim to fame of being AFAIK the only auto focus mirror lens ever made. And if one stack ranks other mirror lenses against this one, this one typically gets the highest marks for image quality.

Using this on an A7ii with the A mount adapter that enables auto focus, la-ea4.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    image.

With the giant lens hood.

• Like Like x 3
  3. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    image.

Without the lens hood.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    image.

The mirrored view.

• Like Like x 2
  5. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    image.

The removable filter, half way removed, and the lens cap (hood) which has a spot for the other filter.

• Like Like x 3
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That is one giant lens hood! Much longer than the one that came with my Tamron SP 500mm f/8 55BB mirror.
    Manual focus has been a task with mine. How quick and accurate is the AF?

7. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    With the mirrored Sony adapter (LA-EA4) the auto focus is actually pretty darn good. Much better than adapted auto focus on Canon lenses, for example.

Seems to only allow spot center for an autofocus point, but frankly with a long telephoto lens, that's not much of a problem. Limitations seem to be that one cannot get a magnified view for manual focus, and the depth of field is SO narrow, manual focus can be a challenge. I'd also GUESS that without image stabilization in the body, it would be a beast.

It is very light weight, and without the lens hood, pretty compact, for a 500mm reach. So for hiking, when you will want to have a long lens "just in case," it is pretty easy to toss in the pack and not worry about.

The lens hood actually says SONIA on it, so maybe this is not the original lens hood. Looking around online, it seems like the normal lens hood is just a the size of a second rubberized disc, like what you see in my photo of the lens without any hood attached. So a prior owner went with an aftermarket upgrade. I'll get it helps preserve contrast as well as reducing flare. But it makes it less easy to toss in your backpack!

FYI, while I usually post samples OOC or with default LR settings, all of these have had the white point and black point maximized and color punched up a touch, and the kestrels are cropped a bit.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  8. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  9. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  10. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  11. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  12. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  13. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  14. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  15. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  16. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  17. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
  18. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Fascinating! The bokeh in the flower shots look like it was painted.

19. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    awesome set of images! Thanks for sharing. And really amazing combo of gear as well! Interesting lens for sure