Sony 50/1.8 vs Canon FD 50/1.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by txbkst, Dec 20, 2012.

1. txbkst

txbkst TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Hi Y'all,

A little background.. I have a C3, bought of a forum member, that I have only ever used adapted Canon FD lenses with. My favorite being the 50/1.8. Anyway, I have decided to make a foray into video and I was advised to buy a native lens. So I purchased an 18-55mm kit off eBay. I hate it. Well, maybe hate is a strong word, I guess I should say that I dislike it. The image quality seems sub-par (this is an observation from a very noobish photographer). But... I did love the auto-focus.

So... To those of you who have used the Canon FD 50/1.8 and the Sony 50/1.8, what are your impressions? Does the Sony stack up favorably with the Canon? Is it a worthwhile purchase for the money?

Thanks,
    Kim

2. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Decided to go ahead a get one. If I don't like it Amazon will always take it back!

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey, we were glad to help! LOL!!

4. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    LOL, I would still like to hear what folks think. My 50 was supposed to be here today, along with the Sony 5" external monitor, but storms in Kentucky messed that up. I am too impatient!

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The FD 1.8 was my first legacy for the NEX, and after testing about another dozen (yes, yes) nifties, I decided to try the SEL 50, which has such a good reputation. It's almost identical in size and looks to the 18-55, maybe just a hair longer. Optically it's every but as good as people say it is. I'd say the FD is 95% as sharp and 105% as contrasty. Bokeh is about similar, maybe a hair smoother on the legacy. AF is bad in lowlight, and fastish in good light. If you're hoping to get kids indoors in dim light, dream on, you'll be faster with peaking if you've become a little handy with it.
    My copy went back to Amazon after about 2 orc3 days, during which I must have mounted it twice. I just had no desire to shoot it, and zero joy doing so. With NEX AF you get the worst of both worlds, robbed of the accomplishment and satisfaction of MF, but not rewarded either by the commodity of AF, because it's frustratingly slow. Plus, after months and months handling legacies, the smooth modern barrel holds no charm, and no handling pleasure whatsoever.
    So is the SEL an excellent lens ? Absolutely ! Is the FD optically on par ? I'd say yes at 95%. Which lens would I personally use ? The MF lens.

6. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Does it make sense that the AF on this 50/1.8 is sort of soft? I think I can achieve better focus when I have it in manual mode. Is that even possible, or is this some sort of placebo effect and in fact the focus is the same?

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It is entirely possible that the camera is focusing on a slightly different area than you want. It's also possible that this will always happen with this lens. Not probable, but possible.

Try shooitng different things at different distances and see what happens. If it only does it some of the time then you need to decide if the image quality is worth messing with DMF or not. If it does it all the time the lens may be defective and should go back for replacement/refund.

8. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    I am wondering if the lens is defective. I noticed it makes a sort of clicking/grinding noise when it is focusing. As for DMF, maybe I am misunderstanding its intention. I half depress the shutter button, and then I should be able to fine tune the focus using the focus ring, correct? If that's right, I can't see any difference in the focused area after I adjust the focus ring. I also have a heck of a time getting it to focus in on the subject I want.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If the kit lens will focus ok and the 50 won't on the same subject then the lens is probably defective.

Yes, DMF should allow you to refine the focus, if it does nothing the lens is probably defective.

Grinding while focusing doesn't sound good. I'd send it back and get a replacement.

10. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Oddly enough, the issues solved themselves. The lens is still a little noisy, so I may end up exchanging it. DMF, now that it works, is awesome!