1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony 50/1.8 OSS + A7R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tbyork2014, Jan 26, 2014.

1. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Hi,
    Now why would anyone use the 50/1.8 OSS on an A7R, since you can see from the image below that this lens does not cover the FF sensor? Well, look at the other FF option: the Sony 55/1.8 Zeiss. This does not have OSS, not very readily available at the moment and much more expensive. The Sony 50/1.8 OSS however is much cheaper, readily available on the second-hand market and covers up to 1.3x crop (slightly more than the 1.5x crop of APS-C). Most important, it has OSS, which can allow handheld shots much slower than you would attempt with the 55/1.8 (and allow the use of much lower ISO).

Bear in mind with the A7R you will need to be careful with camera holding technique even with the OSS, as poor technique may result in blurred images even at 1/10 secs. The shot below was done handheld at 0.4 secs. All you have to do is crop down to 1.3x (or use the clearview zoom to 1.3x) to remove the corner vignetting, and you have a 65mm lens which has 4-stop OSS.

12160148836_89ab425197_b_d.

Boon

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I don't understand a lot of this talk about being extra careful with the a7r and bluriness. Isn't it bluriness at 100%, and who views images that big? Now, if you are planning on printing giant posters, then I'm assuming you'll be using proper lighting and tripods anyway. Also, with the crop on the 50/1.8 with the a7r, your MP count is greatly reduced anyway.

Or am I missing something in my calculation?

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I posted in A7(R) postings before, but here is crop at 61mm equivalent:

original.

The corners might not be good for landscape but it works for portraits. Most of the nex lenses I tried can work w/ 1.25-1.3x crop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thing is, you really need to have a very specific need with OSS to make the SEL50F18 worthwhile on the A7. For me OSS is only really useful in video, but if I want video from my A7 I'd rather use the 35/1.8 in crop as it is a more useful length to me and you don't need all that resolution - 50mm is a bit narrow as a FL and the crop is not easy to remove for video. For still shooting, crop is fine, but OSS is not so needed, especially when you can shoot up to ISO 6,400 comfortably. And for still shots, there's also a range of 50mm legacies that are excellent to use, and you don't need a crop.

I agree FE55/1.8 is expensive (I have to remind myself just how expensive because once you've already got it you kind of forget what a big hole it burned in your pocket) and it is a shame they don't come out with a more affordable standard prime for the mainstream market. But SEL50F18 isn't exactly the right solution either, at least to me. It's the only APS-C lens I've sold as a result of getting the A7 so far. I will probably also be dumping my Sigma 19 and SEL18200LE in due course, leaving me with only the SEL35/1.8 on my 5N as the lens to take my beloved NEX to its grave with.

5. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    If you crop to 1.3x, it will leave you about 20.5-22MP. If using Clear View Zoom, it will use pixel interpolation to zoom in, but retain 36MP image.

It would be nice if Sony would come out with fast primes with OSS, like the 85/1.8 OSS which has been rumoured as in the pipeline, especially given that it is unlikely that they will be able to fit the 5-axis IBIS into an E-mount camera the size of A7/A7R.

I thought it was good to know that it is possible to squeeze 4-stops of IS out of the A7R, given its lack of electronic first shutter and the 'shutter-shock' problem that many are petitioning Sony to admit to (and hopefully provide a fix for).

6. RodT28

RodT28 New to TalkEmount

Feb 3, 2015
    Hi there!!!

I know it´s an old post but I was wondering if anyone has tried to remove the rear baffle to see if the FF sensor can capture a little more light?

Thanks

Rod