Sony 35mm f1.8 confirmed?

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Assume this will be a budget lens, like the 50/f1.8 (not G or GM in other words). Next they need a 75/1.8 or 2.0 to finish out the trio (35-50-75) but I guess the 85/1.8 fills that slot already.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
If it really is that inexpensive, I do wonder what effect this will have on the 35/2.8 price. I think 35mm is a great focal length. There is a segment of Sony users that finds it incomprehensible that the Sony lens lineup could possibly be considered full without this particular length/aperture lens.

AF would be nice, but as I have the CV 40/1.2 (MF) I am still unlikely to buy one personally. I suspect it will prove popular if the IQ is decent.

TedG954

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
The 28/2 has always been a solid performer for me. With the A7RII or R3, the cropping ability negates my need for a 35 range lens.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
The APS-C 35/1.8 was my favorite APS-C lens, but then I never owned the 24/1.8 which I would guess would have supplanted it (due to focal length preferences and the crop factor).

fractal

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
The APS-C 35/1.8 was my favorite APS-C lens, but then I never owned the 24/1.8 which I would guess would have supplanted it (due to focal length preferences and the crop factor).
I had both and enjoyed them both. The SZ 24mm 1.8 more so because of the focal length and I feel better rendering.
It was my favorite e-mount lens - however my GM 24mm 1.4 just arrived and I can all ready tell this lens is special.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I agree, I think the predicted price is optimistically low. Even if they follow the FE 50's design of external focus, stepper motor, they can't use a tried and true conventional optical formula like the 50's double-gauss. The short flange distance means it's going to be a new optical design. I suspect it will more closer to the 28/f2 in design than the 50/f1.8.
35mm is a hot and popular focal length. Demand will be strong. They don't have to skimp to bring to market like they did for the 'nifty-fifty'. Hopefully it will have internal focus.
Which would guarantee very good AF performance even on older bodies.

My most used focal length is 35mm, so I'm excited and may have to get this one even though I have 35mm covered with very good vintage manuals.
Good move Sony!

ionian

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Simon
I already own the Samyang 35mm 1.4 so I'm interested from a size and weight reduction perspective only - 85% of the performance in half the size and weight and I'll be tempted. But at that price point I don't think I can expect too much.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount Top Veteran
According to the rumor it's going to be priced near the 50mm 1.8 FE? In order to meet that price point, it'll probably very similar to the 50mm 1.8 FE, which I currently have. It's not bad at all for the price and on 3rd gen Sony bodies it does focus fast, but it's definitely a compromise on all fronts except on image quality!

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
I already own the Samyang 35mm 1.4 so I'm interested from a size and weight reduction perspective only - 85% of the performance in half the size and weight and I'll be tempted. But at that price point I don't think I can expect too much.
I just bought the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 a couple of months ago. It figures. But if the new Sony is priced like the 50mm f/1.8, it might be worth picking one up for $200-$250 anyway for when you really want fast and compact.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I just bought the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 a couple of months ago. It figures. But if the new Sony is priced like the 50mm f/1.8, it might be worth picking one up for $200-$250 anyway for when you really want fast and compact.
Ugh, I wish they'd release this sooner, I have a trip coming up and would totally prefer the 35mm FOV for street shooting! :D

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Just been announced:
Sony releases long-awaited FE 35mm F1.8 lens

Seems a bit pricey, but if it's on par with the underpriced 85/1.8 then that may be their confidence in the optical quality of the lens.

I won't be getting this one though, 25/2 and 55/1.8 is fine for me, never needed anything in the middle.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
Apart from poor IQ which I doubt, even at $748 I think they will sell a lot of these, if you go by the years of complaints around the internet about the lack of this focal length/aperture. I wonder what they will complain about now?

ionian

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Simon
It looks to be a fine lens - but at £629 on wex I'm happy with my Samyang for the extra two thirds of a stop, even if it's quite a bit bigger. It's certainly not the budget lens that was originally suggested, but I agree that Sony will shift a fair few of them.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Edwin
Been waiting for this, I love 35mm focal length but I think it's overpriced and it's another oversized lens! I'll pass.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

Latest posts

Top Bottom