• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony 35mm f1.4GM-The Missing Lens To My Sony Kit

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Anyone interested in the upcoming Sony 35mm f1.4 GM lens? This lens seems to be very well designed, just like the Sony 24mm f1.4 GM, but with 2 XD linear motors for even better AF performance. I have preordered and the lens is expected to ship in 10 days.

Been shooting with Sony FF for a little over 2 years now and have traded around some lenses and a body to almost be totally happy with my kit. This week however I ordered the 35mm GM, which was the missing piece. Most of my photography with my Sony R7III is for outdoor events or portraits and my prime lenses are now the Sony 20mm f1.8G, the FE 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8ZA's, and the Batis 85mm f1.8 and 135mm f2.8. My 85mm and 135mm are by far the most used FL, with the majority being at or near wide open, and I Luv the OIS on these Batis lenses, which I find very useful. The small and compact 35mm f2.8ZA is great and it is a very sharp lens, but I find myself wishing it had better rendering that a faster aperture can bring and that is why I ordered the 35mm GM. I looked at the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 and just was not interested due to the larger size and numerous reports of product variance, and the Sigma f1.4 (or f1.2) due to size and weight was never an option for me.

As far as trying other lenses, I had the 24 f1.4GM for about a year, absolutely loved the lens and feature set, which is identical to the new 35mm GM, but just did not use the 24mm focal length. It was either not wide enough for landscapes and too wide for portraits, so I sold it and got the 20mm f1.8G for landscapes. Plus I want to get more involved in Astro photography which the 20mmG is supposed to be great at. Also have the excellent C/V 21mm f3.5 Color Skopar and Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 zoom but will be selling these, as I find the Sony 20mm f1.8G prime lens sharper and more useful for me. And I tried both the Batis 40mm f2 and C/V 40mm f1.2 MF Nokton, but found I like the slightly wider 35mm FL more.

When the new 35mm f1.4 GM arrives I can see taking just 4 lenses with me to most events or on my portrait shoots, all being 67mm filter size. The 20mm is for behind the scene or landscape photos, so the 35GM and the 2 Batis lenses will be doing most of the work. I rarely shoot the 55 at outdoor events, it is more for inside use. If I needed that FL, I can always do an in-camera crop with the 35mm GM and get 52.5mm f1.4 photo at 18.5M; the main reason I upgraded from the A7III to the R version was for 42MP and this cropping ability. For ultra wide I have the C/V 15mm f4.5 Helliar and combined with the 35mm and 55mm ZA lenses will make for a small and compact travel kit. For sports/action/wildlife/airshows I have the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 GM and 1.4TC, and just luv it, as with the TC and in-camera crop I can go out to 840mm!

I know its weird for a gearhead like me to say this, but I think my Sony kit is now complete.....:2thumbs:

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I have been looking at it and would be interested to hear your experience once you've had a chance to shoot with it. I very much enjoy the 35-45mm focal lengths. I had the 35/2.8 at one point but sold it (with some regrets now). I have a CV 40/1.2 I love to death (and am not parting with), but it is manual focus and I've been thinking of getting some AF glass in that range. This is on the short list, as what I have read says it is a solid lens. I thought about the 24/1.4 - ok I still am thinking about it, but I think I want something a little longer so maybe down the road.

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I am having similar thoughts. I like my 24-105, but it would be nice to have the figure-ground separation possibilities that the 35 mm f1.4 GM should offer. I have the 35 f2.8 and like it, despite some reviews that suggest it is not quite the thing. It is so small and light, that I will keep it for now, plus it is plenty sharp for my A7III. (If one had a higher resolution camera that might not be the case.) The 35 1.4 is very reasonably sized as well, similar to my 55 f1.8.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Just an update, has anyone received their 35mm f1.4 GM yet? Here in the US, they are supposedly delayed until mid April. I cancelled my original pre-order, but plan to reorder in the next few days once the actual ship date is known.

In the meantime I got a very lightly used A7RIV to replace my A7RIII. I put my government Covid 19 economic impact payment to good use; upgraded camera gear!

Last edited:

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
OK, the 35mm f1.4 GM finally arrived and initial feeling is that it is just awesome! It is the same diameter and just a hair longer than the 20 G, Batis 85, or the 24GM I used to have. Since I got it a few days ago I have been down with a bit of a recovery from the 2nd shot of the Covid 19 virus vaccine, so plan on getting out in the next couple of days to give the lens a workout. But in the meantime here is a photo of my new Sony A7RIV kit with the 4 primes. The 20 f1.8G, 35GM and Batis 85mm f1.8 and 135mm f2.8, both with OIS. These 4 primes along with my 100-400 GM zoom should cover 99% of what I shoot with great IQ, performance, AF accuracy and most important, results.

IMG_1813sm.jpg
   ---            

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom