• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Sony 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Distagon FE ZA

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
Bit the bullet and picked this puppy up last week.
Due to family commitments I was unable to properly take it out since I bought it.

F5.6 under fluorescent lighting in a shopping mall - this is the second shot that I took with the lens!
View attachment 59138
Apples and Pears! by tom.ohle, on Flickr

Unfortunately I noticed that I had set the aperture (unintentionally to F5.6).

Sharing anyway to get the ball rolling.

What I'm sure we all really want to see is wide open performance. With this image I've done small tweaks to the white balance. It is tack sharp to the corners.

Possibly this is the sharpest lens that I have shot yet on a 35mm camera at the focus point. Sharper than the Sonnar 55 1.8.

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
Took it out for a proper test run yesterday. This is a quick snap of a friends new baby. :)

Close focus is ridiculously short - probably the closest I've experienced from any lens yet on the FE platform. It allows for very creative uses. You will be surprised how close to the lens hood you can get when focussing on a subject! For creative types this opens up a lot of options.

In terms of distortion correction and enabling profile corrections in camera VS disabling corrections - this looks to do nothing to fix distortion. It doesn't exist to begin with so there is no difference to the output image that I have been able to tell so far. Only difference it makes is to remove vignetting by gaining the corners. Corner sharpness wide open is very good.

On the vignetting wide open, I feel that it isn't too strong and easily removed in post. But it really gives the glass a character and makes it really suited for portraiture where subjects just pop in a very medium format way. Like the loxia line there is a very quick fall off from in focus to out of focus but this it's very linear across the frame.
Saturation levels, colour and sharpness wide open are great to the point that if you have ever shot a lens like the Nocticron, Otus etc.. where you get this very sharp wide open look, for some subject matter you may need to soften it a little to suit your subject.

For this shot, I've deliberately softened the image a little, desaturated somewhat and played with colour levels to get an old school look that I like.

View attachment 59247
Junior by tom.ohle, on Flickr

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
At 1.4 the DOF is very shallow. For portraiture it has a lot more 'pop' from wide open relative to the Voigtlander 35 1.2 II which I'm also familiar with.
There is no 'glow' or coma that I've come across yet.
Bokeh as you can see fades off very quick but also very smoothly.

In this shot the left eye is ever so slightly out of focus relative to the right... that's my fault if I'm going to get nit picky. That said, this is wide open at 1.4.

That said I like the image and I love the girl :D

17206576801_dd7ced312d_z.jpg
   ---            

Howdy!
by tom.ohle, on Flickr

Attachments

• 17206576801_dd7ced312d_z.jpg
    17206576801_dd7ced312d_z.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 262

Jman13

TalkEmount Regular
While I disagree that it's sharper than the 55/1.8, it is very, very good. My daughter got an aquarium for her birthday:

chloe_tank.jpg
ILCE-7M2    FE 35mm F1.4 ZA    35mm    f/1.4    1/400s    ISO 640

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
DSC08349-Edit-2.jpg
   ---            
It looks like a nice lens, if rather expensive but I'm not seeing that it's better than the 35mm 2 on the RX1.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
Mine pic is from the RX1 Zeiss 35mm 2. I'll be hanging on to this combo because I've yet to see anything that can touch it :)

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro

stripedrex

TalkEmount Rookie

Do you remember if this was with eye autofocus or did you pull that manual? I have kids of my own and I heavily count on my E-M1 to catch the eye in moments like this (kids are too fast!). Olympus usually nails it which to this day still surprises me. I struggle to get similar results with the A7II + 55 1.8 (eye detect is clunkier) so I just deal with more missed shots (dof not helping either when I want to shoot wide open). I keep thinking the A7RII can finally have me commit to 1 system and ditch the E-M1. That now has continuous eye detect autofocus?! That and maybe the 35 1.4 autofocuses faster?

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
This was autofocus on the A7 II. It's not as good as the E-M1 for this application, and I doubt the A7R II will be either, but I find it (A7 II) just good enough for my purposes.

Mus Aziz

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mus
A dealer let me have a few hours with the 35/1.4 yesterday....and it was sheer "poison". It's killing me!

Shy Lady

Shy Lady.jpg
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom