1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony 35 mm F/1.8 vs Sigma 30mm F/2.8

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by shotupdave, Sep 18, 2014.

1. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Ignoring the larger f/stop is the Sony lens that much better that the Sigma to justify the difference in price?

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    These are pretty different lenses (and maybe for different uses too, faster aperture and OSS are nice in dark etc.). DXO gives 21 points to 35/1.8 and 19 points to Sigma. Sigma can be had for very little money and is good in bright light but Sony is clear winner in dark.

See DXOMark, there is nice lens comparison tool available. There are two Sigma 30mm/2.8 lenses and the older one tests slightly better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    As many would have already said the Sigma has the upper hand in image quality, but the Sony has OSS, which may be the main reason why some would be willing pay more for it. So if you will use your lens in low light most of the time go for it. If not go for Sigma as it has more value for its price.

4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I had both and disagree that the Sigma has the upper hand in IQ. Maybe it was a bit sharper but the bokeh is nicher for me on the SEL35. The reason I got it at the time was mainly OSS for video recording though. The situation is similar to the SEL50F18 vs the Sigma 60mm where the SEL50 bokeh is just "creamier" but they both have their fans really.

• Like Like x 2
  5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    This is the 400$ question! I've also had both at the same time and if sharpness was your main concern, you will not be able to tell the difference at equivalent apertures. They are very close. Some reviews have the SEL as better, others have the Sigma so more than likely it will come down to your sample.

Sony has better color, contrast, bokeh, and flare resistance.

My reasons for keeping the Sony over the Sigma: OSS and silent focus (for video), faster apertures available, better over all performance, better build quality. It will also be a bit more future proof with new bodies as Sony will support it where you might not get PDAF with the sigma. One other thing that is kinda nice too is that the lens hood for the 35mm SEL, 16mm SEL, and 18-55 kit is the same so you only need to carry the one. Filter size is also 49mm which is what most of the sony lenses are. The sigma is 46mm so you will need to deal with an adapter or extra filters if you use them.

If all you are interested is sharpness and don't mind processing your photos a little, you will be happy with the Sigma and can probably find the older version for $100 or less. You can't go wrong with that price.

6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    You can have Sigma 30/2.8 and Sony 50/1.8 OSS for the price of Sony 35/1.8 OSS.

Unless you're going to be using 35 all the time, it makes sense to me to get the 30/50 combo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I had the Sigma 30mm for a while and loved it.

Unless you really need the extra FStop and/or are really going to pixel zoom, the Sigma is a great deal.

8. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Thank you all for your input, I am going with the sigma. I wnt to order it on Amazon, but for some reason they have a 1 month to 4 month back order. Anyone know why, maybe a new lens coming out?

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    That's curious. I don't think Sigma announced any updates of 30 and 19 at Photokina ? Looks like B&H and Adorama are also out of stock. Interesting.

10. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I had been watching the Sigma 30 lens for quite awhile recently - when it was on sale for $169 - and Amazon, B&H, and Adorama have all been out for quite awhile now, at least a month or so. The Sigmas seem to come in and then out of stock often... In for a month or so, then out for a few months, then repeat.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

• Like Like x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I bought mine for $105 on Ebay

12. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    The lack of OSS is really noticeable for me. The Sigma is very sharp and an excellent deal but it's quite limiting for a 35mm. My preferred focal length is about 35mm (on the crop sensor). So I usually have either the SEL 35 or Vöigtlander Nokton 40 on my NEX at all times. For me the Sigma 35 can't be used as my main lens because it needs really good light. I shoot a lot of people but not posed portraits and need to keep the shutter speed reasonably high. Now, I love the Sigma 19. It's usually the second lens I carry if I'm only carrying a couple. The OSS is not really a problem at that focal length. I think the SEL 35, although more expensive, is still a good deal and far more versatile.

Of course all this is based on how and where I shoot and my preferred focal length. If the 35 is a secondary length to your preferred focal length then I think the Sigma is an excellent choice but shooting anything indoors with shaky hands like mine......

SEL 35 - handheld straight out of camera 1/15 sec ƒ1.8 ISO 100

DSC09272-1200x1200.

Crop of above

DSC09272-2-1200x1200.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  13. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    This is going to be used primarily for street, nature and landscape photography. so any real low light will be tripod mounted

14. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    That was just as an example of how good the OSS really is. I shoot mostly street and I found I missed too many shots with the Sigma vs the SEL. I also use the manual non-OSS Nokton 40 and have no issues with that lens as zone focusing is easy with it.

That may just be my inexperience and lack of skill though.

Good luck with the Sigma.

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The good thing is that if you buy at a descent rate, you can resale lenses that don't work for you. I know I have bought and sold several lenses lately.

16. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    This is a good point. I sold my Sigma 30mm for more than what I paid for it. Look around used, they come up pretty often. I found mine locally but I've seen them for sale here and on Fredmiranda.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    I love my Sigma 30 and sometimes wonder why I ever take it off my camera.

NEX-5 / JPEG
    DSC00496.

NEX-6 / RAW
    Please excuse the composition/horizon

Beach.

• Like Like x 8
  18. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Not wanting to switch the subject, but what do you think the odds are of sigma coming out with a lens wider (12mm) than the 19 and longer that the 60 lets say about 90mm?

19. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that it is more probable that they will make a UWA zoom than a fixed focal length UWA.

I don't understand why they haven't put out 90mm lens already, It is much needed and would sell nicely.

20. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I agree, but I would like a true super-wide for landscapes. But If I have to settle for the sony 16mm I will buy one