Sony 24-105 f/4 G

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dlhomesolutions, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 7, 2016
    How do you think the optical quality will be for this?

I have the Zeiss 16-35 and the Sony 85mm 1.4. I do a lot of wedding work. (I use other camera systems for the missing focal ranges) Do you think the 24-105 will produce high quality portraits etc for events. Seems like it would be an awesome lens for group shots and family photos... being able to grab head, then torso, then full body pics of all the groups.

Any thoughts or sample images yet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've been considering it too instead of the GM 24-70, but in the end I think there will be times that I'll be missing the f/2.8...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The range is appealing.

The f4 should be good for most things, but there are gonna be times you would want a tighter F-Stop.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Too slow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Back in my Canon days, the 24-105L f4 was my weapon of choice for shooting weddings.
    The most versatile focal range.
    I could shoot a Head & Shoulders, Mid Length and Full Length shot from the same spot.
    The Sony 24-105 f4 is a G lens so the IQ should be very good

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I'm sure the image quality of the new G lens will be top notch but my concern is the f/4 won't be fast enough to handle dark interiors, especially without strobes. It's T stop will be even worse given it's a zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    I agree.
    The way i got round it was to set the camera to auto iso with a max of 1600 when not using flash.
    Modern cameras and software can handle this without any problems.
    Afterall, the difference between 2.8 & 4 is only 1 stop.
    It was certainly a problem at the onset of digital with digital noise being worse than high ISO film.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. cheeks69

cheeks69 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2017
    Robert
    Haven't seen anything in detail yet on youtube or dpreview but if the reviews are good I just can't pass on this one !

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I bet it would be perfect for outdoor, daytime weddings. :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Seems this reviewer is "lukewarm" on the lens. Grain of salt. There's no proof or specifics about image quality other than his personal opinion. It's really too early to tell at this point, until someone gets their grubby hands on one to put it through the wringer.

First Impressions: Sony 24-105mm f4 G OSS (Sony FE)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Agree, the guy doesn't really have anything to criticize except that it's not a G Master lens. Feels like he doesn't like the exterior design of the lens. I have seen some image samples that mostly demonstrate that there was too little time to make technically good photos. Although I must say, if I were given 4 hours to play with such a lens I'd come home with at least a 100 technically flawless pictures that would demonstrate the image quality of this lens. Come on, motion blur and misfocus all over the place with static subjects, gimme a break!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    So far, in all the various hands on / first impressions printed and video reviews I’ve seen on this lens along with the A7RM3 - and I’ve watched far too many YouTube videos now for my own good - about the only one that seemed to pay much attention to anything passing for detailed image quality from the 24-105/4 was one from, of all places, Kai W. As with all so far, it was just a press event hands-on, but he did note a few things about the apparent image quality across various focal lengths and apertures, including noticing what appeared to be significant vignetting wide open at 24mm.

Of course, as noted by someone hereinabove, we won’t really know much about actual quality until someone gets their hands on production copies, likely by the end of this month.

As for the “speed” of this lens not being fast enough, I’ll say this: there simply aren’t any faster lenses with this focal range out there. I’ve checked. Shortly after getting my A7M2 in July, and after considering lens options, I realized that the one lens I’d most like to see for FE was a constant aperture 24-105 (or 24-120). So, having had a decent experience adapting a Tamron 70-300 via LA-EA3, I looked around at other manufacturers to see what was available in the 24-105/120 market. And while Canon has a well-respected 24-105/4, as does Sigma, and Nikon has a 24-120/4, all are f/4 lenses and not f/2.8. One possible AF lens in this range did pop up, the Tamron SP 28-105mm f/2.8 LD IF. But this lens is rather old (as AF lenses go) and the impressions of it that I could find were not very encouraging.

So, while we could wish for a faster 24-105 from Sony, I think we aren’t likely to see one. And even if we did, the price would likely be prohibitive for most - the announced price for this FE 24-105 f/4 G OSS is a bit high as it is.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I agree with this if the goal is to get a 24-105. F4 is basically as good as it gets for an all-rounder like this.

That said, I think when the OP asked if it was a good wedding lens. the answer is still no due to F4 limitations. What most manufacturers and Sony is no different have done is basically designate a 2.8 zoom trio (16-35, 24-70, 70-200) to cover professional event photography. The F4 zooms are usually general purpose. It is no mistake that Sony made this a G and not a GM lens.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Tony Nortrhrop tested it against the Nikon 24-120 with the Sony coming out with better IQ.

15. TN Args

TN Args TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 20, 2017
    I think for a compact mirrorless camera with a superb sensor and processor like the A7R series, I think there is a strong argument that the perfect pro zoom set for it is high-grade constant f/4 zooms. I have noticed several pros saying so too. I think it is brilliant that Sony is providing this solution with a series of 12-24, 16-35, 24-70, 24-105 and 70-200 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  17. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    My favorite all-rounder on my 5d mark II was canon's 24-105L - compact enough, versatile range, and F 4.0 provides a reasonable amount of subject separation. Not optimal in all situations, but this is a heck of a travel lens solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. scottenyc

scottenyc New to TalkEmount

Sunday
    In the early 90s I was desperate for a zoom / high ISO / compact camera combo for shooting available light interiors. I eventually put together an EOS Elan, with Canon's 24-105 3.5-4.5 and Fuji Neopan 1600. At that time, with my budget, that was the pinnacle. And, I loved it. The ability to grab this one sweet setup held my G.A.S. in check for almost a decade. When I finally went digital. The 24-105 suffered from the limited high ISO capabilities of Canon's early cameras and I switched to alternating between Canon primes. Unfortunately, between the crop factor and those inevitable moments where you don't have the right lens on, I often yearned for my old rig. Sony nearly brought my Zen like feeling back with my a7s and the Zeiss 24-70 but I was always missing the extra reach to 105. My hope is that this new G lens on my a9 will bring back that experience where the camera disappears and the picture making process just takes over. Fingers crossed.