1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sony 24–105mm f/4 vs. Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WoodWorks, Jan 9, 2018.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've been pleased with the performance of the Tamron SP 24-70/LA-EA3 combo, but for me it's just too big and heavy to use as a carry-around zoom. And because I don't shoot weddings or events, f/2.8 is pretty much lost on me. On the rare occasions I shoot any kind of portraits, I've got a nice 85mm f/1.8. So I bought the Sony 24–105 to see if it could replace the Tamron. And soon after I got it I started testing the two against each other. So...

The Comparo

Tamron-Sony.

First, I set up a 70mm shot of a distant landscape. I set the aperture at f/4 because I figured that the lenses would be fairly equal by f/8 or so. The camera (A7RII) was on a sturdy tripod, IBIS off, manual focus (on Pilot Rock), and a 2-sec timer. These are from raw images straight out of Lightroom, with only the lens profiles applied. No other processing.

Pilot Rock.

Here are some 100% crops (Tamron left, Sony right), of the center:

70C.

and the lower left corner:

70R.

Then I did the standard bookshelf test at both 24mm and 70mm, again at f/4. Just a closeup of the upper right here. And again, Tamron left, Sony right.

Bookshelf.

24mm

24BR.

70mm

70BR.

And finally I wanted to do a test of the way I shoot a lot; 24mm, auto-focus, hand-held, IBIS on, f/8. Then I did a little exposure and contrast adjustment in Lightroom, and synched those adjustments between the Tamron and Sony shots.

Klamath.

Left side

24KL.

And center

24KC.

I weighed the two lenses on my postal scale, and with the adapter the Tamron was 992g, the Sony, 737g. That extra 35mm of reach is very welcome, and if the IQ degrades at 105mm, I can't see it.

So that Tamron's gone to eBay.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Very nice comparison, thank you for the effort.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the tests, David. Quite a good performance for the Sony 24-105, so it seems. My FE 4/24-70 is still some 200 g lighter, but the 24-105 seems to have better image quality and of course a range that would be vastly more useful to me. Hmm, food for thought (and GAS :eek: ).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks Ad. I don’t know if you weighed your copy of the 24-70 yourself, but Sony claims the 24-105 weighs 64 grams less than my scale indicated. Maybe they weigh it without lens caps and hood (or on the moon), but I don’t trust manufacturers’ specs.

I sold my 24-70 f/4 a while back, but I’d love to do a comparison with it. Care to send me yours? :) 

5. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Tests like these, by actual users, are very much appreciated by the rest of us. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Curious, did you shoot with the Tiffen UV flilter on or off the Tamron?

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Off. I put it back on before I shot the side-by-side in preparation for boxing it up. When I bought it, the previous owner had included it.

The only time I use UV filters is if I know I’m going to be shooting in ocean spray, or blowing sand, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My FE 4/24-70 weighs exactly 500 g with lens hood, UV-filter and rear cap, which is how I carry it around in my bag. Send it to you? Bit difficult to live without such a convenient go-to lens, but if we can manage a swap with the 24-105, I'm willing to consider it ;) .

• Funny Funny x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.