1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony 20/2.8 vs Sigma 19/2.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by demiro, Mar 19, 2014.

1. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I'm going to buy one of these lenses soon. I was leaning toward the Sigma. Have the 60/1.8 and love it, and don't get the sense that the Sony 20/2.8 gets much love. But I do like the size of the 20. So I'm weighing paying more and sacrificing some IQ vs size.

So the question is "just how much IQ am I sacrificing if I choose the 20 over the 19"? I may buy them both and have a death-match shootout, but I thought I'd check in with the crew here before another buy and sell adventure. :D

Thanks for any thoughts (or images).

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Only judging from photos I've seen on the web, the Sony 20mm is quite a good lens. I'd say you don't see a huge difference to the Sigma 19mm. Actually, I prefer the rendering of the Sony 20mm, although the Sigma might be sharper at the edges. Hopefully somebody who used both can offer you deeper insights.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have not seen a big difference.

I had the 19mm Sigma and loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I have the Sigma 19mm and recommend it. If the size difference is enough to mean that you would take the camera with you with the 20mm, when you wouldn't with the 19mm; then buy the 20mm. If it's just the fact the smaller lenses are smaller, then you won't go wrong with the 19mm.

You might want to go over to Kurt Munger's site. He's reviewed both lenses: http://kurtmunger.com/lens_reviews_id21.html

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    Thanks for the link to Kurt's site. He basically says he would choose the 19 over the 20, based on it being a little sharper and less expensive. Still a bit of a coin toss for me.

6. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    What about the new Sigma (the Art lens) and the old? Big difference? Any difference (besides being smooth and shiny)?

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No difference in the optical design.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rossi46

rossi46 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    I went with the SEL20. It is a seriously small lens, the only one that actually made my NEX camera pocket-able this past winter (while wearing a coat/jacket). I also like the ability to throw on the VCL-ECU1 and convert the lens to 15mm/~23mm effective focal length.

I bought both on eBay new, but for considerably less than retail, and am very pleased. Using LR5.3 lens profile is a huge help in fixing distortion/vignetting on this lens.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I didn't realize the VCL-ECU1 is compatible with the SEL20. I thought it was made for the SEL16 only. I guess I still have a lot to learn about all the different lenses. Will it work on any of the other 49mm threaded lenses?

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Officially, the VCL-ECU1 is only compatible with the 16mm pancake. Of course it does work with other lenses with 49mm filter threads as there are no electronic connections. The results achieved with the respective combinations are a different scenario as the converter is only optimized for the lens it was designed for.

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    As a quick update, I have the Sigma 19 on order. I may still grab the 20 if I find a great deal, as I would appreciate the smaller size, but for now it will be the Sigma. Thank you for the replies!

12. rossi46

Feb 28, 2014
    Like Poki said, Sony will only officially endorse the use of the UWA with the SEL16. I had asked multiple company reps and all claimed it was only for use with one specific lens.

However, after reading from multiple members on DPR that it was a great fit on the SEL20, I had to try it. I really like the results. The effective focal length turns out to be one of the "classic" ultra-wide FLs, and the image quality is more than acceptable. Here are a couple pics...

ofzr6x.

fm5p9g.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, the quality of the converters is really good. But keep in mind that it doesn't make your 20mm lens "ultra wide". In fact, it has a x0,75 magnification ratio, which turns your 20mm lens into a 15mm lens. That's only 22,5mm ff equivalent, so still not that wide.

14. rossi46

Feb 28, 2014
    Apologies... I always thought 50mm was considered a "normal" focal length, 35mm was "wide-angle" and 24mm and under was "ultra-wide."

15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Of course that's a question about the definition. For me, "ultra wide" is anything that covers as much as the human eyes or more. That is about a 99° field of view (diagonally), which corresponds to a 12mm lens on an 23,7mm wide APS-C sensor. I just wanted to clarify that it (the 20mm pancake + the converter) is not the widest rectilinear lens you could get, but whether it can be classified as "ultra wide" or not is not that important after all.

16. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Traditionally ultra-wides are generally viewed as starting at either 24mm or 21mm (both 35mm equivalent).

However, over the years, as wider and wider lenses were produced that line has been pushed. At one point, 24mm felt extreme because that's widest there was. Then we got 21mm and 20mm lenses. Then we got 18mm and 17mm lenses. Then we got 15mm and 14mm lenses. Now we have rectilinear lenses that go as wide as 12mm. Personally, I generally stick with 21mm as the dividing line.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeffryscott

jeffryscott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Bumping this as I am debating the same, Sigma 19 or Sony 20. Any new thoughts on the two?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

18. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    I went with the 19 and was very happy with it. It's now for sale if you are interested, as I'm getting out of NEX.

19. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I got the SEL20 in that Best Buy deal a few months ago for around $190 and I love it. At that price it's fantastic. At full price, I'd probably go with the Sigma.

Where are you heading? MFT? (The GM1 has been calling to me in my sleep)

20. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Stephen~
    I too got on that BestBuy deal, but I paid only $159...it was their "special" clearance price in store only.

I managed to also pick up the UWA converter from Adorama used for $60...originally it was $75, but when I received it, it was missing the front lens cap.
    We worked it out and I received a $15 partial refund.

Now I need to locate one :confused: