Sony 18-200mm lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by lowbone, Oct 21, 2012.

1. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I will be buying a Sony 18-200mm lens soon. I will not be using it for movies. Which of the two Sony 18-200mm lenses has the better image quaiity.
  2. lowbone

Oct 21, 2012
    Hmmm, 126 views and nobody knows which of these lenses would be better for still photography?
  3. rich815

rich815 TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    Neither? Just kidding. Have not used either, too big and too slow for my taste and I dislike using zooms with such broad range.
  4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I doubt many people have tried both. I have the LE and I think it's fantastic, but some claim the original is sharper. I haven't seen any lens charts comparing them side by side though.
  5. tboydva

tboydva New to TalkEmount

Aug 5, 2012
    I believe there is thread on another forum (replying with Tapatalk so don't know if this forum's rules allow discussing other forum's threads) that shows the original 18200 as better for video (designed for the nex vg camcorder I think). I have original model. I love it. Rarely ever comes off my camera.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I briefly had the Tamron version of the current 18-200mm E mount lens when I bought my 5N. I thought that it was comparable to the 18-55mm in their overlapping range, but even though it is smaller then the original Sony designed 18-200mm it still felt too big when fitted to the tiny 5N body and so I sold it fairly quickly.
  7. lowbone

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks everyone.
  8. Bruce.B

Bruce.B New to TalkEmount

Sep 9, 2012
    It changes, currently Arizona
    Depends to some extent on your camera body. I bought the SEL18200 in 12/2011- the only lens I could find then for my about-to-arrive NEX-5N. The lens is great, but on the -5N it felt unbalanced, i.e. the lens tended to topple the body in my hands. In 3/2102 I moved to the NEX-7 and this combo feels much better in my hands thanks to the heftier body of the -7.

I find the 18-200mm on my camera probably 95% of the time. It's off for low light (-> SEL50F18), wide angle (-> SEL16F28, maybe add the UWA adapter), or macro (-> Tamron 90/2.5). I use it hand-held all the time (you have to turn OSS *OFF* when it's on a tripod), so OSS works quite well... I've long ago stopped worrying about keeping exposure times less than 1/FL (AF is a much bigger issue in low light).

I did worry about my lightweight OP/TECH wrist strap (laminated foam) being a little too fragile if my camera slipped from my fingers while carrying it. I bought a Gordy's Strap (hefty leather)- I feel confident it can handle the shock load if the camera gets away from me. I also had an issue with inadvertently tripping the Video button thanks to the weight of body+lens, but that's been resolved on the -7 via f/w.

And none of this addresses comparison of IQ between the 3 18-200mm lens choices... I've only used the SEL18200 and can't compare. I've seen sample images from Tamron's version which I thought were equivalent to the SEL18200, but that owner eventually sold his Tamron and now uses the SEL18200.

The lenses seem to be consistent in IQ as most that have the lens are happy (no reports of bad copies). There is an issue with most copies of these lenses tending to creep out toward full zoom with the lens zoom-lock off and the camera pointed down, but mine must have tighter seals as it doesn't do that unless it gets jarred while I'm walking around (maybe it has to do with how I carry the camera).

My only complaint is that I wish it were a brighter lens, but that's not resolved among these 3 choices.
  9. lowbone

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks, very helpful. I will be using it on a NEX 7. The LE black version is tempting but there is so little information available from users that I will probably go with the SEL 18-200.
  10. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Got this lens but waned to check that when its quiet you can hear your lens aperture blades move to focus? I only get it when it's really silent I can hear it.
  11. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    The old silver sel18200 is the best by far! Also the black one wont support the new autofocus update thats come out but the old silver one can. S pleased with mine the photos are so sharpe and its not too heavy its just right. Makes the nex system 100% in my eyes. so stick with the silver. It's so good u won't be disappointed. One tip lock the lens while walking around as it has lens creep. Not a problem just a tip
  12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
  13. Mark K

Mark K New to TalkEmount

May 4, 2013
    The very first version should be of the highest optical quality. I bought it at sleeps in the cabinet for most of the time. It is huge and heavy with very slow AF.