Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 PZ OSS E-mount Lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ray Sachs, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Not sure if this Sony 18-200 zoom is a significant update or a really minor one, but its listed as a new arrival.

8555763348_28627b517f_b.

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I wonder how quickly it goes out to 6.3, does anybody know ?

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    what are the differences between the 18-200 lens we had already?

A.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Power Zoom is obviously one of them...

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Not sure - I played with one of the earlier version in a shop for a while once, but not much experience with this lens. I'm getting the impression its not radically different from the first, but I could be wrong about that too. Can't tell if its as large as the previous version either without a photo of it mounted on a body. The first one was really a tank, IIRC. It kind of overwhelmed the Nex 5 I had it on. Probably easier to use with one of the newer EVF bodies - I think zooms and longer focal lengths are where the viewfinder becomes even more important. It sort of looks like the primary improvement may be the power zoom, which seems mostly aimed at video shooters. No ide if there's much new here for the still photographer?

-Ray

6. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    What is the power zoom?? Any fancy button to call superman to help you reach closer to the object of desire?

Alex

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Like a point and shoot camera, there is a switch you move to make the lens zoom instead of turning a ring. Most useful for video, a pain to stills IMO.

8. kahren

kahren TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2013

it looks like it is the original 18-200 that came out when the nex first did, except with power zoom

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Wow....PZ may be fancy and all (I hate it), and superzooms are cool, but it'll be a slow lens for $1,200??!! Yikes...when my friend was looking for a superzoom I told her to buy the Tamron, not the Sony...she loves her Tamron!