1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS LE or Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by BYee, Sep 23, 2014.

1. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    I purchased the Sony A6000 with the kit lens and the 55-210 lens for travel as opposed to taking my Canon 5DMK2 along with my collection of L series f2.8 lenses.

Give the size, it takes great photos but I'm looking to purchase a 18-200mm lens so I don't have to switch between the 16-50mm and the 55-210.

There are 2 manufactures which offer the 10-200mm - Sony and Tamron.

One of the features I really like with the Tamron is the fact the lens never changes in length whereas the Sony will almost double in length from focal length to the other - 55 to 200mm.

What is everyone's opinions of the Tamron vs the Sony lens?

I am leaning towards the Sony simply to avoid any firmware compatibility with the A6000 body. I realize Tamron offers a 7 year warranty but not interested in playing the warranty game sending the lens in for repairs/firmware, etc.

Thoughts / Advice?

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    What do you mean the Tamron "never changes in length"? :confused: It's not a lens with internal zooming like the the Sony G 18-105mm f/4.

sony-vs-tammy.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have the "Sony Tamron" aka 18-200LE and I really like it. I might be selling it soon due to lack of use (now my main camera is FF and the OS doesn't work when adapted, greatly reducing its attractiveness even as a convenience lens). But I think there is a marginally better IQ on the original Sony 18-200 over this one. For it's size though, it works very well with the smaller bodies and I don't think I would have enjoyed using the bigger 18-200 anywhere near much.

4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I've been using the Sony (silver) 18-200LE for 3 years and it's a wonderful lens. Just A bit soft at 200mm but very usable. The rest of the focal range is excellent. I've captured plenty of my childrens' sports moments with the lens. It's very solid and built well and since it was designed for the E-mount camcorder, it's also excellent for video.

5. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    The sales rep at Tall's Cameras showed me the Tamron which I almost bought.

The lens barrel did not extend.

Is it possible the lens I saw a month ago at Tall's is a newer version of the Tamron ?

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    A much higher chance is that he was twisting the focus ring instead of the zoom ring. The optical design would totally have to change (and the lens get much bigger) if it were non-extending.

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The LE version came only in black if I'm not mistaken...

I'm unaware if Tamron made a newer version but I doubt it...atleast I myself have never seen one.

8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    sorry - meant the SEL - like the picture above.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Sorry, I stand corrected!!

Just called Tall's cameras and confirmed the lens barrel does extend outwards.

+++++

General consensus here is the Sony lens.

Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Never owned any of these lenses but from what I've read, the LE version (black, smaller) is basically a rebranded Tamron and that the original SEL 18-200 (silver) is generally a better performer. But I'm positive the differences are minimal (and probably not worth considering) so if it were me, I'd buy the one I could get cheaper :)