Sony 18-105mm vs all 3 Sigma primes

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by GrubeD, Feb 10, 2016.

1. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    Hey guys, new to the forum and E-Mount. I have been using my A6000 with the 2 kit lenses and some FD manual primes since November. Recently, a family member asked me to shoot their wedding. Weddings are not normally my thing but I reluctantly agreed. I have a Canon DSLR and some primes as well. I had been casually looking into a good travel lens. A good friend of mine who uses the a6000 as a second body suggested the 16-70 as he loves it, but unfortunately the budget does not allow it at this point. I am looking into the 18-105 and I'm wondering if that would be a good option or should I pick up the sigma primes? It's an extremely small wedding in a small local social club (pretty dark). I will be using flash if needed. Just wondering if you guys think the 18-105 would be a better choice than maybe picking up the Sigma primes??

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Welcome Daniel! While I do not have the SELP1805G myself, I am strongly considering it as the leading candidate for my next native E-mount lens, and I know a number of other members have or have had it in their kits.

I started a thread about it a couple months back asking about it (and the SEL18200) as possible all-in-one travel zooms. That thread also points to a few other threads where people aired their thoughts and experiences with it. Might be a good place to start...
    Recommendations for APS-C Travel Zoom

And one of the other threads about the 18-105 itself was this...
    Experience with the new E mount PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS?

And, finally, an image showcase thread for this lens...
    Showcase - Sony SELP18-105G

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    Thank you Steve...I have searched through a bunch of posts about the lens. I mostly was just trying to get other user's opinions on using it for the small wedding vs using the set of primes from Sigma. I am mostly a prime shooter but I am leaning toward the 18-105 for convenience. Those Sigmas just get some great sharp pics. This would be just for the ceremony and reception. There is not really a wedding party and I am doing pictures of the couple weeks ahead of time.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I had the G 18-105 and loved it for the most part. Its a "slow" lens @f/4 though so low light could be an issue...
    But for the convinience of not having to change lenses during a wedding, I'd probably choose the zoom instead of the primes :)

5. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I do have the Sigma 30 and find it to be a very sharp (sometimes too sharp, as I've seen some moire issues at times) and nicely compact lens. But I've never been asked to or had the guts to actually "shoot a wedding" (well, I did some impromptu video with my a3000 a couple years ago for a friend). I'm not sure an f/4 lens would be best in low light. I have the Sony 50/1.8 which is great in low light and very sharp as well. It and the Sigma 60 seem to consistently get rated as the sharpest E-mount lenses (outside the much more pricey FE lenses).

6. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    I was actually thing of maybe doing the 50 1.8 and the Sigma 19 and putting my cheap zoom on the canon... I don't know. I would really like to just use one camera and 1 lens but I want to make sure they have some pics with different perspective. Anyone do a wedding with just primes?

7. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Something else to consider for an event like the wedding you will be doing is the possibility of renting some lenses rather than outright purchasing them. Depending on your budget for lenses, this might be the best option. One place to try is Lensrentals.com... here's a link to their E-mount lenses for rent. LensRentals.com - Rent Sony > E Mount > Lenses
    When my own next trip comes up, I may just rent one of the SELP18105G or SEL24F18Z and purchase the other.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    Steve, I would prefer not to rent and just apply the money towards purchase, but I have thought about it. What about the 50 1.8 and the Sigma 19 2.8? Its a very small room but dark. Would the 18-105 and a flash be close to the image quality of those 2 primes?

9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

It really depends. If your family member is OK with flashed shots you should be fine (I haven't used a flash in decades). Anyway, a second body with a fast prime like the 50/1.8 wouldn't be a bad idea IMO, not so much for the resolution but rather for the shallow DOF/background separation.

10. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Kit zoom 16-50, SB 26 bounced off wall left, camera flash bounced off wall right. DSC00671.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  11. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    DSC04294.JPG sigma 60mm with same techniques as above

• Like Like x 2
  12. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Grab shot with sigma 60mm. No flash
    PICT_20151224_173133.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    If it's a small room the SEL 50mm will be too tight for general use. The 24mm 1.8 would be perfect but at a cost. The Sigma 19mm is certainly wide enough but is it fast enough in a dark room?

Have you considered the SEL 35mm 1.8?

On the other hand, if you are using a flash the 18-105 zoom should be fine for general use; just use a longer fast prime on your Canon for tighter shots or portraits (I would definitely use both cameras).
    Make sure you have several SD cards and bring backup batteries for your A6000 and for the flash.

As far as image quality comparisons, shooting at f/4 or smaller the image quality will be similar enough. The issue is, as some point you'll want to shoot at f/2, which the zoom can't.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Last August I did a large family event with 18-105. In a wedding like setting. The external flash was an absolute necessity. I would not even dream of using any primes unless I had a second body to put them on. Too many opportunities would be missed because of having a wrong lens on at that moment.

I don't think 18-105 is the best lens for this but it's the best lens available. Ideally I'd like something like 17-70/2.8 but it doesn't exist in E or FE mount.

An alternative would be renting a fast A mount zoom and using it with LA-EA2. But with 1/3rd to 1/2 of a stop lost in adapter, you're not going to see much difference in speed.

Do you know anything about the lighting at the wedding ceremony and reception venues ? And especially about the ceilings (can you easily bounce off them, or are they slanted / too high / weird color / have disco balls or mirrors or something reflective ?) I'd get the 18-105 and really concentrate on lighting / flash.

15. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    I did some investigating and testing this weekend. Ceilings are high but "whiteish". Same with the walls. Not sure on lighting for the ceremony yet but there is more ambient light then I expected. :thumbup:

16. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Get an external flash and pair it with 18105.

At the place I used mine the ceilings were full of reflective crap - disco balls, shiny strings, plus tons of colored lights. So bouncing the flash did more harm than good and really threw off the AWB. If you have a "whitish" ceiling this is much easier. I'd say 18105 with a good flash would be the best overall lens for this.

17. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    I have read that this lens can be soft wide open. Any have experience with the lens with a flash? Does it help to "sharpen" it up or will I have to stop it down?

18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, you still want to post process it to get the best results. But flash does help.

20500656840_90a635e237_h. DSC03783 21 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  19. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    Thanks!! Great Pic! I have never really been a fan of flash unless I absolutely have to (not a wedding photographer) So I will have to do some intense experimenting before hand.