• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Sony 100mm f2.8 stf g master

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Have a look here please. Thank you.
ILCE-7M3    FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS    100mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 5000

ILCE-7M3    FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS    100mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 5000

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
I have been lusting after this lens for a long time and then when I was finally ready to buy it, wouldn't you know, it was on back-order everywhere! FINALLY it became available again and today at last I have it in my hot little hands. Didn't have a lot of time to do much shooting with it, but at least did a few shots just to get an idea of how things work with this unique lens. I'm loving it already! Over the weekend I plan to get out more extensively with it, really put it through its paces....

ILCE-7RM4    FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS    100mm    f/5.6    1/250s    ISO 400
ILCE-7RM4    FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS    100mm    f/5.6    1/640s    ISO 100

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Antonio - I am wondering about the difference between the FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS lens and the new Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 zoom lens for portrait work.
The STF lens seems too limiting.
I presently own a Sony 70-200mm f/4G OSS lens and the Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens. While the f/4G is not exactly a cripple when it comes to portraiture, I am seriously thinking about switching the f/4G lens for the new Tamron. The extra cost between what I could get for the Sony 85 is only two or three hundred USD more than what I would pay for the Tamron...
I may just simplify my gear and unload several of my vintage legacy lenses. Selling these and the Sony 85mm f/1.8 would allow me to get another lens that has just appeared and has been given great reviews, the new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art. The difference in price between what I could get for the several legacy lenses and my 85mm f/1.8 would be minimal...

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Richard - Yes, I also think that the 100 STF may be a little limiting. As I said somewhere today, I regret I have sent it back. Now, I look at it differently.

My wife has the Sony 85 non-GM and I have the gorgeous, fantastic, superb 135 GM !
And I love it to the point of being "afraid" to buy another non-GM lens .
I also have as you may recall the gorgeous, fantastic, superb 24 GM !

C19 changed our lives quite a bit. At least for me ! I was planning to get more one or two lenses but to be true, I am not at ease outside.
Not speaking of travelling ! India, I think never again ! A shame.

Cheers ! :)

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
India, I think never again !
Me too. And I live here!

Or as I recently put it, Corvid-19 has made me stateless, with India about a 100 yards away outside the gate. And wondering what, if any lens, lens to buy now... What does one need for a cat, a frangipani and a bougainvillea?

But I have been invited to the recording of three concerts for the internet, very limited audience, next week. I'll don my mask and go. Camera in hand :yahoo:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
We would like to go and see tigers in Ranthambore ... 😥
I was planning to rent a zoom, one of those heavy and cumbersome beast which would allow me to be near... being far ! :laugh:

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
I am still learning with this lens; yes, I would agree that it might be limiting for shooting portraits unless under very specific circumstances, but it is a fascinating lens! I don't do much portraiture and am intending to primarily use it as an additional tool when doing macro/closeups/tabletops, etc. For me, it's all about the bokeh and that was the main reason I wanted it and bought the lens.

View attachment 112161

Latest posts

Top Bottom