1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sometimes the Magic Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, May 17, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've seen some awesome glow and colors to the sky around here late in the evening after a t-storm, so with a storm approaching, I decided to head over to my church to get some pre- and post-storm photos. I wanted to see how my newly acquired Promaster (Cosina) 19-35 handled extreme light conditions. As it turned out, I think the whole set could be described as "operator error". I didn't do so well adjusting the focus back-front at times, and I even blew out the stormy sky on a couple, trying to adjust for deep shadows. I was pretty disappointed in how they turned out, but here are a few. The great sky colors didn't appear after the storm, either. Sometimes the magic just isn't there. <Sigh>

Tony

Attached Files:

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Some days are like that. Sometimes I have weeks like that. Multiple weeks even. ;)

I like that third shot though. :)

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    When it is raining, try to go to a creek, river, etc. They might be full w/ water and the magic happens:

From Great Falls National Park, near DC:
    original.
    When I was there, the park service was not even at duty and feeling the power of rushing water was incredible. It was close but at least it wasn't flooded where I was.

Another Park:
    original.
    Again it was flooding at further end before the falls so I cut it shorter to find a spot to take a shot.

4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Bimjo. Those are nice, serhan. Although I sometimes get good wide field views, I think I'm better at close-ups. Here are a couple early morning pics after last night's storms.

Tony

Attached Files: