1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Something imagined

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, Sep 18, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I found this gem while driving near Delaware Water Gap. This image is by far my most heavily processed. It is a composite of 5 images. The subject was already interesting, but I wanted to create something unique. Something that represented my thoughts when I saw this old house under the dark clouds.

I like the results, but let me know what you think. Are you against imaginative recreations of a scene?

15271162941_858ed01e87_b. Graffiti House 2 by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Very cool! Can tell it's not one exposure, however it's no negative thing. Would be interested to hear more about the steps you took to reach the final product.

• Like Like x 1
  3. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Very good! Congrats!

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Sure. But just for my info. So I can be better. What elements highlight the multiple exposures?

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    The overcast sky would not allow such a bright foreground with the birds having such minimal blur.

• Like Like x 1
  6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    However consider the audience here, we all know about post processing and signs of multiple exposures. 99% of people would never know and just think awesome (which it is - hence me wanting to know more so I can learn!)!

7. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Correct. That is a give away, but it is part of the dreamlike picture this creates. Having this type of motion blur in the birds was key to creating the drama. Ironically, you are right in the unnatural motion of the birds given the overcast, but the overcast is also exaggerated by creating an under exposed layer in Photoshop and filling in any breaks. The sky was much brighter and would allowed a shutter that could have froze the birds.

So to create the picture: I shot the left and right portion and stitched the 2 pics. I only had the 16mm with me and obstacles prevented me from moving back.
    I shot a lot of birds flying away from structures using different shutter speeds. I used 2 pictures for the birds
    I shot another picture of the birds perched before flight and used that for the roof.
    Multiple layers for varying exposures of different sections of the picture as described already
    Blended and merged accordingly in Photoshop
    Then it was slider, dodge and burn time.

8. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Nice, thanks for the lowdown! I really need to spend more time learning post. At the moment I spend a lot of time setting up the shots and messing the camera settings and then just doing very minimal post, probably can count the number of things I've done with stitch/overlay/combination of exposures on one hand. Seeing this though has spurred me on to try some new stuff though!
    I am collecting 2 new cars on Saturday (his n hers), and planned a photoshoot in a couple of locations already but may use it as an opportunity to try some multiple exposure stuff (if my Wife has the patience for me experimenting for long enough!).
    Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Could easily be used as a book/movie cover.

Well done.

10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I know you know this, but I don't want you to misunderstand. Post processing is not a substitute for proper exposure and composition. PP rarely turns bad pictures into good ones. I think you always have to focus on correct in-camera settings for your images. Each picture that contributed to this was shot with that in mind. I think post processing should be used in addition to the in-camera set-up, not in lieu of that set-up. This approach gives you the most flexibility and yields the best results. IMO.

11. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Oh absolutely! Hence my current focus on in camera settings and composition. But as you say, if you have a vision of something special that could not be achieved in one exposure it would be nice to have the PP skills to bring it to life!

12. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    +1

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de TalkEmount