Something a little different

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Mathieu Decodts, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    So did some tfp with a amateur model yesterday, concept was to capture her true nature in pictures. So what floats here boat? BDSM! We talk onoine for a month before meeting for the first time and came up with this concept, a fifties style pin up shoot, with a twist.

Getting hot and bothered getting into a latex dress, opening a coke with what ever was to hand and enjoying it after!

All shot in my living room with a mixture of new and old legacy lenses on my trusty a3000. What do you think?
    <a href="" title="Triptych by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="724" alt="Triptych"></a>

Posting here because I was surprised by the first comment on flickr, I know the light was hard, that was my intent, but had to make do with a small room so couldn't put everything where I wanted, also model had big hips so shot slightly from above to reduce any issues.

I though I did a good job, our idea was to do something different and I think it worked but would appreciate your input :D

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    They look pretty good to me Mathieu. :)
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Dong something different always is good, and I think you did quite well. But technically, I have to agree - it's not like harsh shadows are something bad, but the 'shadow line' in the middle shot under her shoulders or at the first one at her neck looks quite strange (I don't know how you set up the light, but just make sure that the shadows look natural, which is not the case in this photo).

Btw., sorry for 'stealing' your title, didn't see this thread before. :s
  4. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks poki, just needed to hear what I already knew from a friendlier source. I had to put the lights at 90 degrees to her but I wanted 45, hence the side shadow. Also her pvc dress was a nightmare! Had to move things around so they wouldn't end up in the pictures! Still.please with the results in my cramped living room :)

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
  5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Nice work!!! Especially in the living room...
    What background did you use?
    Any softboxes or bouncers?
  6. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    big white background curtain with two flashes onto it to take out the wrinkles and over expose the background, that was the one thing I did right, other lights where a 6 foot parabolic shoot through umbrella, at (annoyingly) 90 degrees to her right and a 4 or 5 foot silver parabolic umbrella on the left.

I wanted a hard shadown on one side and soft fill on the other, but because of the cramped conditions I couldnt move my main lights around as I wanted. I should have gave up on two umbrellas and used a big reflector on the other side to the main light but we where having too much fun during the shoot (hopefully some of that shows in the pic!)

Should point out, though not an excuse, this is my first time trying anything like this. I am a natural light with a little fill flash type of guy, shooting weddings candid. Never really done anything with multiple flashes in a studio type set up. I thought a 3 meter by 3 meter area was big enough to shoot it but boy was I wrong!!! If It was totally clear it would have been ok but there was a sofa in the middle and pushed to the side stuff everywhere limiting movement.

Next time I will use two flashes and a reflector, just to many big stands etc about and no way to move about.

it was a great learning experience, next time I will rent a hall, I have a nice backdrop but its no good without the room to use it!

some more shots form the day (more successful because I had her look into either light:

<a href="" title="Betty boo? by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr">[​IMG]"644" height="1024" alt="Betty boo?"></a>

and my fav because of strong composition (but lacking fun!)

<a href="" title="Bound by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr">[​IMG]"641" height="1024" alt="Bound"></a>
    • Like Like x 3
  7. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    I really like the B&W shot --darker in mood but a little BDSM and sexy. It seems to convey the subject's personality more so than the color pics.
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  9. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Love that black and white! :cool: