1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Somebody please talk me out of the A7...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by demiro, Apr 23, 2014.

1. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I really haven't had any interest in the A7, then today it seems to have sat on my chest, yelling at me to buy it so it will get off and allow me to breathe again.

Help me out here, what's not to love about the A7? I know the lenses are limited, and pricey, but I could be pretty happy with the 35/2.8 and manual options for longer FL.

Thanks. I think.

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The A6000 is just about as good and has better AF? Or were you looking for someone to talk you out of spending money impulsively altogether :p

• Like Like x 2
  3. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    I think I've convinced myself to keep my NEX-6 and not get sucked in to the A6000 vortex, as tempting as it is. But now this full frame thing is in my head. It would replace the 6.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Ok here's the best advice I would give. It's a Photokina year. Every camera company worth a damn is going to try to outcompete each other to unveil something headline grabbing and make everyone else's product look like old news. Sony will almost certainly be among them, since there's clearly a gaping hole where the NEX-7 used to be, and there is ample space for a full-featured A9 with A6000 AF, which should then push A7 prices down. Can you wait till November?

• Like Like x 2
  5. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    Hell, if I can get through the week I'll be good. :) I'll change my mind six or seven times until November. But the idea of waiting is good. I was really looking for some anti-A7 rhetoric, but that may be hard to come by....

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    IMHO the A7 is a no-brainer if you have a decent-sized collection of vintage full-frame lenses you want to use in a wide-to-normal capacity. If that does not pertain, definitely take a step back and think it over.

IME, APS-C is significantly smaller, faster, lighter and quieter. Often better for telephoto and definitely easier on the wallet. It's all very fine and well that full-frame has finally become reasonable in size & price, but APS-C will always be that much more practical.

For most users, APS-C still resides well north of the IQ overkill divide. (I just did a 20x30" print from my old 6MP point & shoot. It was somewhat noisy but no obvious aliasing - pretty impressive overall.)

• Like Like x 2
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sorry, you'll get no help from me. I've been having waaaay too much fun with my A7. :evilsmile:

• Like Like x 4
  8. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I got close to an a7 once, and I got herpes. Not sure what would have happened had I bought it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    IF you have a collection of full frame lenses you absolutely want to use in their natural habitat, go out buying an A7.

If that's not the case, then full frame has no advantage over APS-C. And the A7 is not a particularly good body compared to the NEX-7 or A6000 (I'm not a huge fan of the NEX-6 personally, but it's nice as well). You think there is an advantage you could get when buying the A7? Tell me which one it is, and I will tell you why it's no advantage (with scientific proof, of course).

• Like Like x 2
  10. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    I think the threat has passed (for now). While I do have a medium sized bag full of vintage lenses, none of them are highly regarded. So my rationale is that I will likely see little or no benefit from the A7 unless I am willing to plunk down quite a bit more cash for better lenses. Which I am not. If you don't think that is true please keep it to yourself. :biggrin:

11. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I agree with what people are saying:
    • If you own a NEX-6, the only camera worth getting is the A7, but only if...
    • You have a bunch of legacy lenses that would benefit from a full frame sensor, or
    • You really can't wait for the next generation, with faster AF, and who knows other nice features
    If you REALLY want to be talked out of it, don't get the A7 if...
    • You shoot long exposures with ND filters (Athough newer bodies will hopefully not have the potential light leak issue)
    • You have a bunch of wide-angle RF-style lenses (short registration distance) and are afraid of corner smearing. Although the A7 is better than the A7R.
    • You can wait for the next generation (There's always a next generation)
    Ultimately, only you can decide whether you get one or not. Don't let us talk you into or out of it. Make an informed and not impulsive decision.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I was in a similar situation and decided to get the A6000 (from NEX-6) even though I saw many reviews that said there wasn't much difference except fast AF which isn't important to me. I always wanted a 7 but couldn't afford it when I got the 6.
    Macro is a main interest, so resolution/detail is important. When I was researching the options, I studied resolution samples from Imaging Resource and would love to have the A7r croppability but was reluctant to spend so much with worry about no front shutter curtain, etc. At last I decided to wait at least for the second round from Sony and in the meantime, build a better lens collection and move to 24mp. I've compared my own legacy lenses and have seen big differences in detail between them - same mm, same body. I'm sure most of the people here are well aware of that but it made a big impression on me.
    The cost of FF bodies and modern lenses were certainly a factor for me.
    The A6000 arrived today. Just tried if for a few flower shots tonight. I can easily see a very noticeable improvement in detail comparing pictures from both cameras taken with the SEL50 (I know, not macro), all settings the same. I'll post if anyone wants to see.
    I'm happy with the decision for now and happy with the smaller hit to my wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If macro is a concern, you will get MUCH higher detail resolution when shooting 1:1 with a high quality macro lens on an APS-C body like the A6000 than you'd get with a macro lens on, say, the A7r.

14. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Great - I saw somewhere that DOF is better, but aperture has to be translated to FF equivalent. I bought a used Sony 100mm f2.8 and an LAE-A2 - should arrive by Monday. Am waiting to see your samples from the Touit 50!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I am not talking about depth of field. It's true that you get a larger dof at the same aperture, but alas, the diffraction limit is reached "faster" when using a sensor of the same resolution, i.e. at a lower aperture, so the theoretical maximum depth of field is the same.

What I was talking about is the higher pixel density. Explained simple: When using a Sony NEX-7 with a macro lens, you can fill the frame with an object which measures just about 23x15 millimeters. When using a full frame body, you can fill the frame with an object of about 36x24 millimeters. In other words, you need to crop if you want to fill the frame with the first object, which leads to a resolution of about 12 MP.

Yep, I can't wait until I finally receive the Touit 50! I wait for over a year now ... Heck, even my pre-order in January feels like it was ages ago. But don't forget to show us what you do with your 100mm Sony - which is a great lens too!

16. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    Are you outgrown of your NEX-6? Meaning is NEX-6 the reason your photography isn't enjoyable/not getting better?

Is your NEX-6 broke?

If no to both then keep your NEX-6

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Good advice. My answers: no, no, no. Yet I have an A7 and I've hardly ever used my NEX-6 since. Reasoning along the lines of "Product X is good enough" disregards one important thing: although product X may be good enough, it's nice to have product Y which is better (better being a personal evaluation).

• Like Like x 3
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Spot on, Ad! I haven't upgraded my cameras over the years because the older ones stopped functioning (well, one I accidentally smashed to bits :rolleyes: ), but because the next camera offered me a significant improvement in some some aspect, whether dynamic range, or noise, or resolution, or lens selection, and so on.

Right now the A7 offers me the best photographic experience I've had. But when something significantly better comes along, and I can justify the price, up on eBay it'll go. I don't get sentimental about metal, plastic, and glass. It's a tool. If a new one will make my work easier or better in some way, and I can pay cash for it, I'll buy it.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Poki said it best. The only reason I got one because I had 5-6 awesome Canon FD lenses being wasted on a cropped sensor.

For general usability with NEX autofocus lenses I prefer my A3000, its my "lazy" camera. I almost exclusively use my A7r with old manual focus lenses. If you have loads for 35mm full frame legacy glass get one now! If you just want to use the kit zoom or a nice zeiss prime I think you can stick with what you have or get a cheap as chips a3000. Its actually lovely too.

20. husahin

husahin New to TalkEmount

Apr 2, 2014

What about dynamic range which is an important factor for landscape? Do you think they are same for both? I don't think so.