Some Yashica ML goodness

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by f/otographer, Nov 30, 2013.

1. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I did a little walk around today at a local Dickens Festival. Lots of fun with vendors and music and such. Camera is the NEX 7 with the pretty much permanently attached speedbooster. All of the festival shots were with the Yashica ML 50/1.7. This lens was also used on the photo of Kaylon, which I shot the night before when we met at a Starbucks to do a lens trade. He picked up an extra ML 50/1.7 (series 1) that I had and in return I got an old Petri 55/1.4 to compliment my small but growing collection of Petri lenses.

The photo of the old Yashinon was shot with the Yashica ML Macro 55/4 and processed with Pixlr. This photo was actually chosen as the Photo of the Day over on the Pixlr blog. That was really nice and made my day. It can be seen here.

And the last photo of my daughter on the swing is with the ML 28/2.8. Old Yashica lenses are just amazing. Super well made, great glass, great coatings and Tomioka goodness all rolled up in one. Hope you enjoy.

steampunk pizza

Bri, lead singer for BRI

yeah bitches, check out my invisible skateboard

cool baby and rain dog

old Tomioka warrior

under the dark tree
    • Like Like x 11
  2. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice! I love the old film processing on your photos.

3. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks Tony. I mostly just use Pixlr for my processing now. Its really easy as pie to get these results. :)
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Lovely photos w/ very nice colors/pp.
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Nice set of photos ;)
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Great stuff. The #3 catch is amazing, very funny!
  7. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Very nice work. You are very good at MF.
  8. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    serahn and Nick, thanks for the compliments guys. :)

addieleman- Haha, I like that one as well. I had walked up to the stage where BRI was playing their last couple of songs and was taking some bands shots when they launched into their cover on Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit. The guy in the photo just came up out of nowhere and started his own little mosh pit in front of the stage right there in the street, even though he was the only one. I snapped several shots of him cavorting about. Due to his maniacal dancing all over the street he was a hard subject to photograph for sure. I managed a couple of ok shots but this one I thought was the best from a compositional and subject perspective. And its just damn funny.

claude- Thanks, MF can be challenging but its worth it. I figure that probably over 90% of the best photography from the 20th Century (therefore the vast majority of the greatest photography ever) was shot on old MF gear. No reason I shouldnt try to continue the tradition. Haha, but truthfully I just enjoy using MF lenses more as part of the creative process. I would shoot film instead of digital any day of the week but its just to darn expensive. So at lest my NEX 7 lets me keep using part of the process from an older time.
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Well done. You have some great moments captured here.