1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some thoughts on the LAE-EA4...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MAubrey, Sep 29, 2016.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Okay, so its really just one thought.

I picked up an LEA-EA4, a Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Alpha mount last week and finally got around to fooling around with it. I'll probably be selling the lenses and keeping the adapter (though the 50mm isn't worth much...).

Still, I can see right away that with the LAE-EA4's built in PDAF sensor, AF micro adjust isn't just a suggestion, but totally necessary.

Even worse, the micro adjust is so rudimentary that I don't know if the 50mm will be useable with it. I'll need to have two settings: one for infinite and one for the close range. I don't expect this being done, but Sony needs to implement adjustments for multiple distances.

Either: AF Micro-adjust: Required.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Yes I learnt this the hard way. I bought a LAEA-4 and the Zeiss 135 1.8. I was half way through my first shoot when I realised that the focus was slightly off on all my shots.

I used the 'af-adjust' and 'improved' the focus but seemed never able to get the pin sharp focusing that we get all the time from mirrorless and cdaf. It got to the stage that I was stopping down heavily and/or I didnt really have confidence in using the lens, so eventually I sold them both.

I think this (and to a lesser extent the bunched af points) of the Laea-4 are a big drawback to adapting A mount glass.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

I've gotten the Tamron focusing well. AF is just never as good when off chip. Roger Cicala had a great post about that a couple years back. On sensor focusing is the most accurate way to go. I've always wanted the 135mm f/1.8, but I would probably just get an LAE-EA3 and just MF the thing with focus peaking.

4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I've literally never touched the MF adjust with my 200 2.8 and feel like the majority if not all of my AF shots are as sharp as my MF shots.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MAubrey

Jealous!

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    don't be. it's probably my lack of experience and untrained eye / naivety on the matter. I've often thought of changing the settings... But i feel properly setting up a test environment and accurately judging the outcomes is beyond me ...

I usually use my 28-80 and 28-70 A mounts on my laea4 as well. I reserve the Laea3 for my tamron 70-300 .... honestly if someone told me my shots would be better adjusting the AF (even without looking at them) i'd probably believe them.

7. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    I use my LA-EA4 with the Minolta 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens on the a6000 and find that my images are sharp.
    Looking forward to using the combination on the A7II later this week when I pick it up.

8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I used the LA-EA4 with the Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8 to shoot indoor sports on my NEX-7. The AF seemed quick enough (though loud) but as previously said, not entirely accurate. I also found the
    loss of light a bit of an issue. Despite being 1/3 stop loss, I found myself bumping ISO a full stop vs. using the LA-EA1 (without mirror).

• Informative Informative x 1