1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Some shots with the Pen-F 38mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    So after decided to keep the lens I bought of Ebay, as well as cleaning the oil off the aperture blades myself (which wasn't too hard), I decided to take it for a walk. I'm pretty happy with it so far:

DSC08673-Edit.JPG

DSC08704-Edit.JPG

DSC08713-Edit.JPG

DSC08736.JPG

DSC08761.JPG

DSC08799.JPG

DSC08792-Edit.JPG

Attached Files:

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The shots are BRILLIANT, and a vibrant tribute to my all time favorite lens. I slapped mine on the 7 tonight for kicks and started shooting wide open. Opened the files 100% on screen and got kicked in the face full force by how much it trumps the SEL35. It's on par with the Fuji 35/1.4 for sharpness, and much better in rendering. BEST LENS EVER.

3. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    Thanks much for the kind words! Actually, your glowing reviews of it are one of the main reasons I decided to add one to the collection.

4. pictogramax

pictogramax TalkEmount Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Looking very good, both the lens and your images.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Very nice, both the shots and the lens. :)

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Really like #4.

7. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Obviously a great lens. nice set of photos, really like the peacefulness of #3.

8. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I still can't get over the toy likeness of this lens, but you certainly can't argue with the results.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice work - your shots are a perfect example of the excellent reviews this lens got :)
    Personally #3 and #4 are my favs ;)

10. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Fab shots, love them all :)

11. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I like them all too, fabulous :)

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Very nice shots indeed! That Pen 38/1.8 looks mightily tempting, but fortunately for my wallet the focal length is a bit too long for my taste.

13. rungunshoot

rungunshoot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    I used this lens briefly for video shooting and it made a near-perfect "normal" lens in an incredibly small package. Perhaps a bit longer than I would prefer, but it looked great wide-open. I lost it while trying to switch lenses at a nightclub. That was kind of heartbreaking.

14. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    This pen f everyone loves how old is it? I don't know if I should buy this or 35mm 1.8 and does pen f does it auto focus?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The PEN is from around the 70's era and has no autofocus. I have both PEN and SEL and though the PEN is optically definitely better, the SEL' s AF is convenient if you're reluctant to use MF at all times. That being said, the PEN "peaks" very well and shooting a series two nights ago with it after weeks of using the SEL, my keeper's rate was very high. It's insanely sharp and has tons of character. It's also very cute, though a bit smallish for some. I personally like the fact the size really matches NEX bodies.

16. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Thank you so much for the info. If I found one and buy one what kind of adapter I need?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

17. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
  18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yes as Chad said, you need a PEN F to NEX, just grab a cheapo one off eBay coming from China, that's what I got and it's perfect.The lens itself has a little play with the adapter, but the latter is rock solid on my NEX. The beauty of those little lenses is that the adapter are very thin, so they almost don't add to the package, and they look sleek, too.
    Every time I pop this lens on any NEX body I'm just blown. I tend to shoot it wide open at all times (except for group shots where you want to stop it down around 2.8 to have 2 or 3 people in focus) because it's so darn sharp at 1.8 you actually get concerned of how razor like it's gonna be stopped down. But it's not ONLY sharp. It also has vey beautiful character due to higher contrast in the corners. I really wouldn't call it vignetting, but something to that affect, but just gorgeous sexy cool.
    I mounted it on the 7 two nights ago in lieu of the SEL35, and it hasn't come off since... What I absolutely LOVE with MF and Peaking is that you don't need to focus/recompose, or select and AF point, which is slow and clumsy without a touchscreen. You just pinpoint your focus *exactly* where you want it to be and get real time DOF preview. It's golden.

19. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Thanks claire, for now I'm saving to get SEL35mm f/1.8, if all goes well for the summer so I will have in my hands, I could not resist the temptations and when passes in BH and took the Sigma lens, but the PEN looks very well as a good competitor against the SEL.
    By the way the images are incredible.

20. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just had to comment on the OP's photos, which are really wonderful. And rave about the superb sharpness and character of this lens.

It makes me wonder where all our current-gen technology's advantages are, if a 70s lens can outdo current optical designs? Granted, AF and coatings are an advantage, but do they really have to redesign things when this lens (and with my dream Nikkors: 50mm f/1.2, 85 f/1.4, 135mm f/2 DC) create such pleasing images without the benefit of new technology?