1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Some shots from a photography workshop

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Tabibito, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi guys... thought I would share some of my shots. There was this photography workshop sponsored by Sony near my place last week. And here are some of the results. :eek:

Both were shot with NEX-5N + SEL1855 with some doses of Lightroom spices.

DSC01879.
    DSC01893.

• Like Like x 10
  2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Gorgeous shots !! Very well done.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1
    :thumbup:

4. neffsrus

neffsrus New to TalkEmount

Sep 16, 2013
    Well done, I would be proud to have those shots in my portfolio. If you get an opportunity, would you share some of your lighting equipment and settings used? Was it your high shutter speed or your sync speed that enabled you to freeze the water that dramatically?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TalkNEX mobile app

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very well done.

I have never been to one of these before, what is it like?

6. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Even i got invited to one is these, didn't go though. I'm now starting to feel that was a mistake, looking at your shots

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TalkNEX mobile app

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Vow:) I didn't know Sony has a program like this...

8. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks guys!

There was a studio lighting set up on the left side of the model that provided continuous lighting (too bad I didn't ask for the brand and the setting). On the opposite side there was an assistant who sprayed some water towards the model. There was also a standard patterned backdrop used behind the model. No flash was used and the session is conducted outdoor.
    I pre-focused on the model's face before she moved and then holding the shutter button in speed priority mode when taking the shots. I set my camera to shutter priority mode with 1/1000s exposure time to freeze the movement and the ISO to 800. I also shot in RAW and then processed the images in Lightroom (contrast, curves, and some added vignettes). I think luck also played an important part in getting this one :biggrin:. I ended up with 900+ images after the day and only some of them are good enough. These 2 are the my best.

It's quite fun actually. Since there is also a professional photographer present as a mentor it's quite educational I think. Not to mention it is a chance to meet your fellow Sony users :biggrin:.

You should try it if you can. If anything it's good way to waste your free time :biggrin:

In where I lived (Indonesia), very few people use Sony cameras prior to the NEX release. So I think They are trying to establish their brand's presence. They also give you a free full photography course for every purchase of Sony Alpha & NEX camera.

9. neffsrus

neffsrus New to TalkEmount

Sep 16, 2013
    Thank you for filling us in on this. Again, great shots.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TalkNEX mobile app

10. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    As far as I know, they do not have such a program in the US, but they seem to be doing it in several Asian countries. They have also done it in the past in Canada and the Netherlands - and possibly other countries that I have not heard about. I haven't heard anything recently about any locations other than Asia, but that doesn't mean that it is not happening, just that I am not aware of it.

FWIW, Gary Friedman not only does excellent books about using Sony cameras, but also does hands-on seminars (classes) all over the world for a very reasonable price. (He just did a two-day event last week-end in Seattle, and is going to do seminars in Oz and New Zealand early next year.) I've been to his two-day seminar here in Southern California, and also to one of his outdoor workshops, and have always felt that I definitely got my money's worth. If you go to his blog/web site you can see some of his tips, and also keep current on his schedule for seminars. A recent posting is at:

http://friedmanarchives.blogspot.com/2013/08/cellos-and-monster-trucks.html

Looking at what I just wrote, I suspect that it might be a good idea to mention that I have no business connection with Gary other than that I have sent him full payments for his seminars and outdoor workshop, plus full payment for his each of his books on the Minolta and Sony cameras that I own. (I think that I got even more from his NEX-6 book than from the previous ones, and I got a LOT from each of those.)

- Tom -

11. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    fantastic shots, well done