• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Some of my Sony FV 50 batteries do not charge past 85%. Normal???

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Try charging in-camera to check the batteries. If they can't charge to 100% then it's the battery. If they do, then it's your charger.

Kirkp

TalkEmount Regular
Do you mean FW50 batteries? If so, it’s not normal. It could indicate a failing battery or bad charger. If it’s a good quality charger that has been trouble free until now then it’s more likely a battery problem.

Note that lithium ion batteries age more quickly if stored with a full charge, so in seasons when I’m not using the camera a lot I try to store my spare batteries partially discharged.

More info on Lithium ion battery life:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

I never charge batteries in the camera because I feel that’s the time they are most likely to burst or burn. On the other hand, the camera’s charger is probably better quality than off brand chargers, so it might be less likely to cause them to fail.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
HI and thanks! Did not know of responses...

One battery is not charging...and I know it is not charger...and I also know these things can go "dead" and be awakened.

Wondering how to do...What I have done is charge and stick in body and read/compare camera indicator to what I read on the charger lights...3-green for 100.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I have been learning about L-ion batteries using them in packs to power motor on bicycle front wheel...best at less than 100 % for storing, which mostly what we do, so we have a couple to use...if we do not forget to take with.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
FWIW, figured out battery wiring and working on means to revive seemingly dead FW 50 Li ion cell.

Have not figured optimum charge level, however...not full. not too low is all I have.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Me too! Charging a battery is a pain in rear, and if already 80% not good for battery, and why I take 3 with, when grabbing.

But, do know dead ones can be revived...just do not know how to do yet.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I guess it is matter of timing...the left from top view on my charger term is + so am guessing any LithIio charger might do it, but how long to charge...?

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I suppose one can rig wires and charge/jolt in 10 min increments, or until seems to liven up...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I don't want to link to anything specific because I have never tried it. But some googling pretty readily turned up some ideas that looked like jumping the battery like you would a heart attack patient. Apparently it shocks the system back to life (maybe kind of literally).

If you don't have the equipment, I am not sure getting said equipment would be any cheaper than just buying some new batteries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom