1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Some NEX 7 and X-E1 pics

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by nianys, Feb 23, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    A little rolling selection of the last few days's pics with both the NEX 7 and Fuji X-E1 (will add as I process)

dff47090f1fbb28174cb36f3cb68c7b8_bd2.

03cc93dda2ed3c000f57d4bb7a6a3e93_402.

8bcd3a2e6b780bf5f3fed050ed057c36_939.

4037fa0afd4120eb2e601402a5db3de6_7c0.

Attached Files:

2. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France

Attached Files:

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France

Attached Files:

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim

Attached Files:

5. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Not bad for a bridge camera. :p ::p :p

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    :rofl:

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    great , great wow love your photos Claire : O

8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    From IQ perspective, I cannot tell one camera from another (the photos are not labelled), it must be the photographer. Whichever is cheaper wins.

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Just goes to show... It's not the tool, it's the artist.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Excellent shots Claire!!! (as always ;) )
    #1 and #5 are my favourites :thumbup:

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thank you Jim, it really works for me too :)

12. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    My guess,1, 2,4,5 and possibly 7 are XE1?......though I'm probably completely wrong and they are all fab. I concur With Bim, that image is outstanding :)

13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Tracy only 3, 4 and 10 are from the Fuji ;) !

14. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh damn! I'm crap :biggrin:

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    No you're not, I should have mentionned there were only a few X-E1 shots, and more NEX ones. You probably expected half so your mind had to make up the missing Fuji shots ;)
    Basically even if there's a wow factor from time to time when the XE gets it right (read, when I'm able to get it right), I'm globally more comfortable, confident and consistent with the 7. Tilt scree, TriNavi controls and focus Peaking are still very valuable assets for the 7. The IQ difference, assuming I handle the learning curve, is too small to justify not only the cost, but also the whole messy process of a switch.
    I might *add* a Fuji later, in the very unlikely case that I'd have unused money I didn't know what to do with, but I don't plan on letting go of NEX for the moment.

16. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    My vote goes for 8 and 9, both beautiful shots :) This is exactly my experience with the X Pro 1, when it (I) get it right it's thrilling but mostly I don't and that makes me use it less :(

17. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Very nice shots Claire.

So, how are you finding the XE?
    Is it living up to expectation?

Rich.

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Rich, I'm afraid it's gonna be one long answer !
    I've written several different pretty detailed posts about my thoughts on the X-E both here, at SeriousCompacts, FujiXspot and on my own blog. I'll try to sum them up here.
    Size/weight/build : the camera is big as a take-everywhere cam, but perfectly sized as a main, primary and serious tool. For travel i'd take my X10 over it, but as a portrait cam it gives me confidence and appears reasonably capable (folks are really suspicious of a NEX sized cam brought in for a portrait session for instance). It's shaped like a brick with only a minimal grip, in this regard the NEX 7 feels better and more secure to hold. Build seems good, not overly sturdy or impressive (it does look more solid on the X10 because the latter is smaller, so more dense), but nothing is cheap or shaky. The dials are flawless and impossible to fault in feel and resistance.

Looks : just gorgeous, sexy and hot. No way around it. The leather pattern on the hard plastic is a little too shiny, half matte would probably look classier, but I'm splitting hair here.

EVF. More laggy than of the 7, otherwise, very good and useful to have (but I've become really natural shooting from the LCD, so until a bright sunny day, I wouldn't use it). Diopter adjustment is very good and fine tunable. The LCD screen is lacking in resolution and quality, the camera would deserve a 900K unit. The built-in flash unit is not as useful as the one of the 7. It does tilt back but the angle is not as optimum, so bounce capabilities are not on par. While I use the built-in flash nearly routinely on the 7, I rapidly switched to using my external unit on the X-E.
    As a strict jpg shooter, my main concern is nailing WB. I can achieve that relatively well with my NEX 7. The 7 offers a grid for WB fine tuning with the traditional Magenta/Green, Amber/bBlue axis. Using that I am able to get very close to optimum WB on the NEX. The X-E, however, is a different animal. While Fuji's Auto WB is being widely acclaimed, I find it becomes funky as soon as light sources get mixed. Let's get this straight, high ISO performance is stunning on the X-E, but any mixed light situation (as usually indoors) kills its usability altogether. So, I'm back using flash. The Fuji does have a two axe grid for WB fine tuning, but it uses Cyan/Red in lieu of Magenta/Green, and it's definitely trickier to adjust WB with that.
    The AF performance, than everybody agonizes over, is very simple to define. It is *exactly* on par with the NEX 7's (both cameras and lenses running their latest FW updates). If I'd just switched from using DSLR's, I'd be pulling my hair out and just giving up on the camera. But after 6 months shooting various NEX bodies I've adapter to slower focusing cams, and I can say I'm likely NOT going to get a X-E for myself, but NOT because of the AF performance. It's not fast, it does miss quite a bit of shots, but it's totally usable (I wouldn't shoot weddings or a paid toddler portrait session with it though, not unless I want to flunk the job).
    The buttons are larger, which is a blessing when using gloves. Everything is pretty similar in lay-out to my X10 so I was rather at home with the camera from the get-go. The operation is a little laggy. Upon shooting a frame when the camera displays it then returns to shoot mode, you have to wait a good second to press PLay if you want the picture to appear instantly. If you press too fast, nothing happens. Same with magnification. Once you enter Play, give it half a second or so before you evenly and firmly press the + button, or it'll do nothing. Same applies to Delete, menu navigation, etc.
    The menus are well laid-off, I wish a hard button could be configured to flash compensation, but, no dice.
    The Q button accesses a sort of Quick Menu and it's super useful, as are the custom setting banks, up to 7 of them !

Now the meat of the camera : IQ. I think it's BIGGEST asset, by far, is the way it renders the most subtle tonal nuances in solid colored surfaces. The black coat of my Dobermann pup is a sheer delight done by the Fuji. To me, that's the only true wow factor, upon the 7. Other than that I have't been able to master the Fuji yet to the point that it easy delivers the IQ I'm routinely squeezing out of the NEX.
    If I owned neither cam and was offered to chose to keep one, I'm really uncertain as to which one I'd chose. But owning the 7, I see no reason to switch. In the best case scenario, if I had money to spare, I might want to *add* the X-E, but leaving the 7 for it, no.
    I'd miss, in order : the tilt screen, the TriNavi, the super usable built-in flash. Not to mention the pleasing character of the SEL35, which, for its flaws, I find more appealing than the insanely sharp Fujinon 35/1.4

a306e96b575480b13f1122c8a8e916a9_e62.

Portrait photographer and blog author Kirk Tuck (my hero) often talks about the "meat" of such or such camera files. I do find the X-E images very "meaty" when I get it right, as shown above in the dog shot. This image literally jumps off the screen at me, and I haven't got an equivalent one from the NEX. However, I'm more familiar with the Sony. It doesn't need as much babying, cooing and pampering to get the job done. I love and enjoy both cameras, and think any photographer would be more than blessed with either.
    Those are only my impressions after 3 days of use of the X-E, but I hope they'll be useful to some :)

Attached Files:

19. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the detailed comparison. I was picking the wrong ones also until I saw the last photo of the series, WB was different as you mentioned. Last shot above is very good also.

20. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Interesting comparison Claire. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to report.

I thought you would like the 35mm and its IQ, when its right, it is unbeatable!
    Problem I find, is getting it right consistently enough to make the X system viable. As you know, I have just bought the NEX 6 after a blissful period with a 5N and I am more than happy with the NEX as it delivers again and again and again. Just can't say that for the Fuji's.

Some of the work I do with the Fuji's really cannot be equalled by the NEX though. That work is very limited however, its a shame that the X's only come out every now and then, they cost me a lot of money, and I feel somewhat cheated that they are not as capable as they should be.

Apparently there is a rumour that Adobe are about to come out with improved RAW support for ACR/LR4, so maybe that will help a little............if its true of course!

All the best.

Rich.