1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Some more zoo pics

Discussion in 'Nature' started by olli, Feb 8, 2013.

1. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Taken yesterday at the Smithsonian with newly acquired NEX-7 and SEL 55-210. Unfortunately my technique for shooting with longer lenses and a viewfinder has gone to the dogs so I'm going to need lots of practice (and I do find that shooting with an offset viewfinder is different from shooting with a centred viewfinder).

DSC00083 by ...olli..., on Flickr

DSC00073 by ...olli..., on Flickr

DSC00033 by ...olli..., on Flickr

DSC00025 by ...olli..., on Flickr

DSC00008 by ...olli..., on Flickr​

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Really like the first lion shot olli. That face just looks "lived in" and like it could tell stories. Like the tiger shot too. :)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I'd be happy to walk away with any of those shots. But about that offset viewfinder, do you find it an impediment or an asset? For myself, the lack of an offset viewfinder was one of the main reasons I finally gave up on the m4/3 platform.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The 2nd lion (female?) and tiger shot are great!!!

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Turned out well, if a bit pale.

Try these. I turned down the Gamma and increased the Saturation.

8457738940_1aae4c3f90_o. 8457739084_a0727e6220_o.

6. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    The tiger's great...
    Really looks hungry and comes straight in your direction... so... RUN!!!

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    They're gorgeous ...

8. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    The lion's head radiates something special. Beautiful.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Wow :eek: Now, that looks really good!!!

10. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    Great pictures. Especially number 5.

What do you think about SEL 55-210? We are considering buying an SEL 55-210, SEL 18-200 or SEL 18-200LE, but are not sure which of those we choose ..

11. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    I'm quite happy with it. It's just going to take me a little while to get used to holding the camera differently than I did with the central VF on an SLR. I do like being able to use my other eye at the same time (though so far I normally keep it closed).

12. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Thanks. I'm not a big fan of heavily saturated and contrasty images generally and, to me, your versions go beyond what I prefer.

13. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Thankfully there's a very large wall between him and me. I do recall visiting the Tierpark in Munich once with my dog. We passed the tiger enclosure and there was one inside sitting up against the fence just watching everything. When it saw my dog it adjusted its position a little, licked its lips and stared at her the whole time she was in view. I've never seen Bella, my dog, quite as eager to move on. She did find time to stop and mark the territory with her pee once we were round the corner though.

14. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Hard to make a judgement just yet. Generally I don't do a lot of tele shooting so for that reason alone I'm more inclined to the cheaper more compact 55-210 (and I got this one for $100 off). My first impression is that it is not dissimilar to my old A mount 55-210. Generally IQ is decent, if not spectacular and once you get beyond 160-170mm there is to my eye an increase in the softness (though this is generally fixable with a bit of work in LR or your preferred image editor). From the reviews I have read the 18-200 doesn't offer that much more in terms of IQ (though obviously it works better as a single carry around lens) and is considerably bigger and more expensive.

Sony also have what they refer to as a 'mid-magnification zoom' on the E-mount roadmap for this year sometime. I imagine that will be something similar to the existing A mount 18-135 lens. So if you are looking for a walkaround lens with a bit of tele it might be worth waiting to see what that one is like.

15. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I agree on the processing, I tend to like the originals a bit better.

16. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
  17. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    the first two and the last one are incribles, I could swear they coming directly to you, ready to eat .
    You can cheat and say you went to Africa, well done

18. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I really like the tiger...that look is priceless

19. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Back at the zoo today visiting my favourites - this is Tian Tian, the male. Taken with NEX-7 and SEL55-210.

DSC00413 by ...olli..., on Flickr​

20. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012