1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Some more focusing foibles (Nex)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Nex Tex, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    Is any of this not true?

(1) Peaking does not work in AF.
    (2) MF assist does not work while recording movies.
    (3) There is no way to set MF assist to work with a custom key but not with the lens ring; it's all or nothing.
    (4) MF assist (i.e. zooming in) does not work in AF.
    (5) It is not possible to decouple AF from the shutter button.

Don't get me wrong, MF assist and peaking are nice features, but these five limitations don't need to be that way, do they?

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    All true I believe. Better than not having them at all though.

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    1) Too many double negatives. Peaking does indeed show, even with AF. I may have to double-check that, but I'm pretty sure it does. If it doesn't, use DMF mode, which I am sure displays peaking.

Side notes:
    • I never use AF, either MF or DMF; DMF is AF, but I can change the focus if I want to as long as I'm still half-pressing the shutter.
    • Using AF lenses I use a small MF-assist timeout so I can re-frame. (Letting up on the shutter will re-focus at next press :( )
    • When I use legacy lenses, I set the MF-Assist time-out to infinite - When I'm done focusing, I just half-press the shutter again.

4) Use DMF

5) Not sure what you are asking about here. While in AF (or DMF) mode, the damn camera continually focuses, and makes a final attempt when you half-press the shutter. If you are looking for a way to normally have MF mode, but have a button that causes it to AF on what it thinks is correct focus, then no, there is no way to cause an AF event without pressing the shutter in AF/DMF mode. During video, it also continually focuses in DMF/AF mode. I am not sure if you can change the focus in DMF mode during video, and I do not know if you can force a re-focus with a half-press while video is recording. Another interesting, related question is if you use the flexible spot for AF, can you move the spot while recording video? I don't know, but it would be neat if you could.

4. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    Now that I know what DMF is, I will use it. Thank you. It seems that both peaking and MF assist work with DMF (for MF assist you have to have shutter pressed half-way), so that sort of takes care of points (1) and (4). Now time to take some more pictures.