• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Some fake news.. For the streetb

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
Crikey ...... I think as he says himself, if anyone had bothered to talk to him it would have saved all that bother! He could have handed out his card and offered any pics downloaded free to the parents of any kids that happened to be in his shots.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Not surprised. Photographers are now the trending society scapegoat for public enemy No.1 and the cops in America are supporting it due to all the unwanted public photos and video footage of them. There are some crazy and yes I mean crazy parents, here. In one town, they tried to petition the mayor's office to have all photographers registered like sex offenders and be banned from all public schools. And I believe another city has instituted a 'safe zone' in a public park's playground where photography is a criminal offense.

And I personally have been hassled at a security check at Luke Air Force base for their air show over my backpack of camera lenses. They gave me the stink eye and forced me to empty its contents and inspected everything, while others were entering with baby strollers, bags, and coolers all uninspected. Hmmmm. I did attend two more events but the last time, security got so ridiculous I vowed to never attend another air show.
Oh, and the iconic Airplane Graveyard tour at Davis Montham Airbase in Tucson has invoked a policy of no 'pro' camera gear allowed consisting of telephoto lenses. Only smartphones, point-n-shoots permitted.

In public, no one can expect privacy. And the courts have ruled on this several times. Sadly some have reverted to carrying a copy of the ruling to present to cops in order to stop them from being hassled. My friend in Boston had to do this 10 years ago in order to stop Boston PD confronting him.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I don't know why people are so sensitive nowadays. If you don't want to be photographed in public, stay home. Saying that, I don't bother carrying traditional camera bags, and use grocery and sling bags that look more stealthy.

I love street photography, but honestly most stuff bores me nowadays unless I'm in some village with traditional tribes people or something, but even then probably a thousand Instagram photographers have probably shot the same scene over again. Everything seems so overdone nowadays!

I'll probably have to move to the moon or something!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Clearly they were out of control with their perceptions and should have just talked to him. And I know the legalities. That said, if those FB photos of him taking shots were representative, he was going about it in a way that did not help his cause. I do not have much sympathy for "in your face" photos. Expectation of privacy or not, that is just plain rude and selfish. There is a balance, and to be honest, I do not care for street photographers who do that. It inconsiderate and just plain rude, putting "getting the shot" over respecting individuals.

Latest threads

Top Bottom