Some examples of a cheap lighting solution

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by dsiglin, Feb 28, 2014.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    So a while ago I posted about a cheap wireless flash solution. Now that I've had a few chances to use it I thought I'd post some example photos from a faux fashion shoot I did a few weeks ago. For the price it's hard to beat a $60 flash with zoomable head and $25 radio triggers.

This was shot outside in open shade, some backlighting from the sun, flash providing most of the fill light through a white shoot-through umbrella.

12764096614_f1f6d04064_c.

These were shot in an old mill with natural window light camera right and shoot through white umbrella camera left.

12834100015_c2bf340da4_c.

12834520554_a767bb55df_c.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like it's working well for you. Like the first one.

There are a lot of threads asking for fast low light lenses, sometimes I think we forget there is a flash.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I started out hating flash, wanting to keep it pure and natural light only. Then I realized there's a world of creativity when you start controlling the light. It's nice to be able to shoot what looks like only natural lit photos and a few minutes later do very stylized shots.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the (additional) info and those portraits are amazing!!!
    Great sharpness, composition and colours - I like the strong contrast :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks, I should add these were with the Canon 50mm 1.4, I just received a Vivitar 28-90 2.8-3.5 and I'm going to give that a go tonight. The focus peaking responds well to this lens from the few shots I've taken already. It's a massive lens though.

6. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Very effective lighting. Well done.