Some Early Reviews of the Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 16, 2013.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Thanks for the review summary. It makes a nice small light combo w/ A7(R). From my limited experience, it has good af esp makes it a good walk around lens and good resolution for a landscape lens. Bokeh is nice for a 2.8 lens...

Here are the Sony Zeiss FE55mm 1.8 reviews also:

Good start from Sony. Hopefully they will match these w/ Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 lens...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for the round up. I had the 35mm for about a week. It's not that I have many negative things to say about it.. but my experience has been a testament to what a great lens the CZ 24mm is. Both sharp and contrasty lenses. CZ 24mm focuses so close that it makes it a more versatile lens.
  3. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I've had the 35 for a little under a week, and initial impressions are very positive - small, sharp, balances well. Would I prefer an f/1.4? Well, yes. But it's a great all rounder. Close focussing is not a strength for either of the FE primes, however; not really the way I tend to shoot, so not a problem, but something to take into account. I'm really hoping I can test stopped down performance in some better light soon.
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    So far I'm enjoying my 35 at least as much, if not more, than I did the 24 on my NEX-6. It's so small and light as to add almost no mass to the A7 body, and about the only criticism I can come up with is that it doesn't close focus as well as, say, my Olympus PEN-F 38mm. But like you, mattia, I hardly ever shoot those sorts of images. So I'm really straining to find anything negative to say about it. In short, it has greatly exceeded my expectations, and I suspect that, like the 24, it'll be my "default" lens. Far from regretting what I spent on it, I think it's a bargain.