• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Some a6000 questions from a NEX-6 owner

ajm80031

TalkEmount Regular
I've owned an NEX-6 for a couple of years and have always been satisfied with its still image quality and love the size. However, taking a lot of photos with it on a recent holiday reminded me of some of my gripes with the camera. The a6000 is the current top-end APS-C e-mount from Sony, so I'm wondering how well it addresses the issues I have with the NEX-6:

1) Even though I know the NEX-6 well and have customized settings as much as Sony will let me, it takes too long to switch settings. I switch back-and-forth between taking stills and taking video a lot, and have to change numerous settings. For stills I'm usually using auto-focus, aperture priority, and changing the ISO as I see fit (I typically don't rely on auto-ISO as in my experience the camera is too eager to increase the ISO to 800 or above). For video I use manual focus, shutter speed at 1/60 sec, and either let the camera set aperture (when lighting conditions are consistent and I won't be panning or zooming) or set the aperture manually (to avoid "gain pumping" in changing lighting conditions or pans/zooms). As I'm typically also having to add a variable neutral-density filter for video (to be able to get the desired shutter speed without having to go above f10), this is a lot of stuff to change -- and remember to change back.

Some high-end cameras include customizable modes that let you store a group of settings (e.g. focus mode, exposure mode, ISO) and recall them with a single button push or turn of a dial. The a6000 has a couple of customizable buttons but from the reviews I've read it seems they are used to quickly access one setting rather than allowing you to store a group of settings. Do I understand that correctly?

2) The NEX-6 has issues with moire in video. Shoot a scene that has brickwork or something similar and the video includes distracting color banding on the fine repeating detail. Has the a6000 improved the moire situation when shooting video?

I don't really need the a6000's extra pixels, as I'm perfectly happy (for as large as I print) with the results from the NEX-6. So if I upgrade it will be for improvements in the above areas, not to get more resolution. All the reviews indicate the a6000's handling is much improved over the NEX-6, but would it help much with my specific use case? As I was researching I just learned the a6000 has dispensed with the built-in level, so in that regard their appears to have been a bit of a downgrade.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
1. The a6000 has customization buttons for individual functions and it has 2 memory recall modes for groups of functions as you described.

2. I never heard of this issue so I can't comment other than I have never experienced this when I had my 5t(same sensor as NEX6) or my a6000.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I've owned an NEX-6 for a couple of years and have always been satisfied with its still image quality and love the size. However, taking a lot of photos with it on a recent holiday reminded me of some of my gripes with the camera. The a6000 is the current top-end APS-C e-mount from Sony, so I'm wondering how well it addresses the issues I have with the NEX-6:

1) Even though I know the NEX-6 well and have customized settings as much as Sony will let me, it takes too long to switch settings. I switch back-and-forth between taking stills and taking video a lot, and have to change numerous settings. For stills I'm usually using auto-focus, aperture priority, and changing the ISO as I see fit (I typically don't rely on auto-ISO as in my experience the camera is too eager to increase the ISO to 800 or above). For video I use manual focus, shutter speed at 1/60 sec, and either let the camera set aperture (when lighting conditions are consistent and I won't be panning or zooming) or set the aperture manually (to avoid "gain pumping" in changing lighting conditions or pans/zooms). As I'm typically also having to add a variable neutral-density filter for video (to be able to get the desired shutter speed without having to go above f10), this is a lot of stuff to change -- and remember to change back.

Some high-end cameras include customizable modes that let you store a group of settings (e.g. focus mode, exposure mode, ISO) and recall them with a single button push or turn of a dial. The a6000 has a couple of customizable buttons but from the reviews I've read it seems they are used to quickly access one setting rather than allowing you to store a group of settings. Do I understand that correctly?

2) The NEX-6 has issues with moire in video. Shoot a scene that has brickwork or something similar and the video includes distracting color banding on the fine repeating detail. Has the a6000 improved the moire situation when shooting video?

I don't really need the a6000's extra pixels, as I'm perfectly happy (for as large as I print) with the results from the NEX-6. So if I upgrade it will be for improvements in the above areas, not to get more resolution. All the reviews indicate the a6000's handling is much improved over the NEX-6, but would it help much with my specific use case? As I was researching I just learned the a6000 has dispensed with the built-in level, so in that regard their appears to have been a bit of a downgrade.

I had the same questions last Christmas. The NEX-6 is a fine camera, the A6000 just steps it up a bit more.

The new menu system, the extra customizable buttons and the improved AF system all make it a great upgrade.

ajm80031

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks for the replies. The memory recall function looks like it's what I was hoping for, although reading through some other threads here it appears that accessing it takes more button pushes than one might like.

In general, moire shows up when there's fine repeating detail in the shot. Different cameras exhibit different amounts of it, depending on the sensor and the image processing. My NEX-6 isn't terrible with moire in video, but it definitely shows up more than some other cameras. I did some tests back when I was camera shopping two years ago, and the NEX-6 and Olympus OMD-EM5 were about equal in this regard, the Sony RX-100 showed somewhat less moire, while the Panasonic GH-3 and G6 showed almost no sign of it (not surprising since Panny really emphasizes video performance.) In all cases I was shooting 1080p video at either 30 or 60fps (whichever was the highest each camera supported.)

In short, sounds like I should check the a6000 out but losing the level would be a bummer...

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
There's a 3rd party bubble level that goes into the hot shoe (in place of the oem cover) - its not the same as the in-camera level I know but still better than nothing I guess :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom