Solution for protecting an NEX-6 with Zeiss 24mm inside a backpack?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zhoskins, Oct 21, 2013.

1. zhoskins

zhoskins New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    I already have a dedicated camera bag, but sometimes I'd like a way to carry just my camera and my favorite lens (SEL24F18Z) inside a backpack or other, larger bag. Most inserts I've looked at seem to be designed for a DSLR +1-2 lenses, which is too big for my needs. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sounds like a dedicated camera case is what you need. Don't know if there are any out there that fit your combination perfectly though.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Check out the Tamrac 5682. Ample padding and room for a couple spare batteries, but not too cumbersome in the grand scheme of things.

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I traveled extensively over the last 7 years with a camera and a couple of lenses thrown inside a regular backpack. The trick is to separate them and pad well (I typically throw a light windbreaker jacket on the bottom of one compartment, and a light sweater on the bottom of another). The backpack needs to be sturdy enough, too; I like Swissgear, they are well built and well padded.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The dividers in most camera cases are available separately.

6. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I have 4 Snoot Boots of various sizes that fit my lenses/camera that I put in an ordinary back pack. If I need to fill space I throw in a hand towel or sweat shirt. My pack has a second section that carries my lunch. One has to eat. I use a waist (fanny) pack or vest for carrying the little things like batteries and filters, items that I want without taking off the back pack.

Larry

7. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    The protective wrap looks interesting. I could wrap up the camera with the lens and not have to separate them in the back pack. I may add that to my next B&H order. Thanks for sharing.

Larry

9. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    They work really well and there's Velcro in the corners to keep it from unwrapping.

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Not if your bike likes to take "naps" like mine does. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Mine are street bikes. I try not to let them nap, sometimes it unavoidable though..
    I've been looking at those BMW's for a while now might have to step up and get one.
    Every time I roll by a dirt road that goes off into the wilderness I think about it.
    So it will probably be sooner than I think..

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hehe... my Strom had narcolepsy too. Both of them in fact. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Can't encourage you enough, G. I've taken many rides across the dusty sections of the U.S. SW, and (other than having to pick up the beast every now and then), have had a blast every time.

[​IMG]

8486153549_fa7f9d7746_c.
    Death Valley.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Um... sorry for highjacking the thread. :rolleyes:

14. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Oops, My apologies as well..
    But damn, That looks like fun!!

15. zhoskins

zhoskins New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
  16. cbutton

cbutton TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    dollar store solution

Last year I took a trip to Italy and packed my Canon 7D, EFS 10-22, EF 70-300 and 17-70(Sigma) in my backpack (Obusform) when walking around cities. To keep the lenses protected I used IPad/tablet cases made of neoprene, purchased at my local dollar store. They have a great big wide mouth to allow easy access and you can roll them up to provide added side protection. I chose two colours to be able to recognize the different lenses.
    I also took a KATA backpack which was a godsend due to rain. I used it primarily when travelling between cities. It was far more weather proof than any general purpose backpack I've owned. When I returned home I bought a backpack "cap" that can be "cinched" around the pack to make it more rain proof (cost at Mountain Equipment Co-op was less than $10.)
    These are some pretty inexpensive solutions that work better than the camera store solutions, at least in my experience.
    I'm headed to Mexico later this year and you can bet this is how I'll pack my new NEX 6 and lenses. What I'm concerned with is how to find my spare batteries in my pack. I number them so I can keep track of the used ones but they are such pesky little items, together with SD cards I'll probably look around home for a little velcro wallet (brightly coloured) to keep them all in.
    Hope this helps.