1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Soligor 35mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Orange, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Any one familiar with the quality of this lens or any experience of using it?

2. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    If you are looking for a 35mm 2.8 the Canon FD gets good reviews :

Canon FDn 35mm f/2.8 : ERPhotoReview

Seems to go for around £40: Canon 35mm F2.8 C FD lens | Carmarthen Camera Centre Ltd. Sometimes even with a 'free' camera attached: :) CANON AV-1 35mm SLR CAMERA & CANON FD 28mm f2.8 LENS - Serviced, New Seals Etc | eBay

Don't know anything about Soligor - but I would usually stick with the main brands like Canon, Minolta, Pentax etc at least to start off with. That said if it's cheap enough, why not and the Soligor seems okay: http://www.flickr.com/groups/eos-manual-lenses/discuss/72157631550447241/

3. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Cheers for the links much appreciated.
    I'll more than likely be going down the FD route to be honest, I just saw the Soligor going cheap, and wondered if it was a bargain or if it was, err, well, crap!

:)

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    You get what you pay for, most of the time when it comes to most things and this is the same when legacy hunting. There are exceptions to this general rule of course but if you can afford it, it pays to stick with the top manufacturer brands. It also makes good sense when it comes to resale value, should a time come when you need to off-load gear to make room for newer upgrades.

Should full-frame mirrorless cameras finally come about, known legacy brands like the Canon FDs are likely to increase in value but the second tier brands possibly won't.

5. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Dipotrick, I've since done some research and realised that Soligor is a budget brand with pretty poor quality optics. Shame as the one I saw is aesthetically pleasing!
    Cheers I'll stick with the brands I know and trust :)